JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Front camera now has a black dot, before it was clear

(Topic created: 09-14-2022 09:17 PM)
piabella
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

A new black dot has appeared for my front camera.   It was always clear.   How do I change it back?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21

The camera circle, or black dot, is an actual hole in the actual screen, there is no way that this was ever "Clear".  So far no phone manufacturers have figured out an in-screen camera that does not have a notch, or a black dot.  The screenshot you provided does not have a black dot, as the screen still draws this, despite not having any physical screen there, this is also why the rounded edges of your screen does not translate to rounded screenshots. 

The old UI allowed a black bar to appear at the top of the screen, effectively hiding the camera cutout, ever since OneUI 4.0 came out this option has been gone.  I can assure you, though, the black dot was always there, it is just not as pronounced when the surrounding pixels are black.

Looks like they are bringing this option back in OneUI 5.0, as I am in the Beta, and there is an option under:

Settings | Display | Camera cutout

This appears to be set by app now.  I do not remember seeing this before I went into the Beta, so am not sure if you even have that option outside of the Beta.

View solution in context

6 Replies
user365170tdJ15
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Use a QTip
0 Likes
piabella
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Notice the black dot where the camera lens is? It was clear until tonight. Screenshot_20220915-003717_Samsung Members.jpg
0 Likes
GaryB82
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Sorry to say I don't see anything in your screenshot 

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like the post.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓ to Accept as Solution button.
piabella
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
The front facing camera has a circle for the camera. It has been clear and not that noticeable until tonight and now there is a black dot where the clear dot use to be. I am not sure if I could be any clearer. On the S10, the dot is very pronounced and bothersome. Is there a fix to bring back the clear.
0 Likes
NPC1
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21
Yes, front facing camera is a circle. It's black.
0 Likes
Solution
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21

The camera circle, or black dot, is an actual hole in the actual screen, there is no way that this was ever "Clear".  So far no phone manufacturers have figured out an in-screen camera that does not have a notch, or a black dot.  The screenshot you provided does not have a black dot, as the screen still draws this, despite not having any physical screen there, this is also why the rounded edges of your screen does not translate to rounded screenshots. 

The old UI allowed a black bar to appear at the top of the screen, effectively hiding the camera cutout, ever since OneUI 4.0 came out this option has been gone.  I can assure you, though, the black dot was always there, it is just not as pronounced when the surrounding pixels are black.

Looks like they are bringing this option back in OneUI 5.0, as I am in the Beta, and there is an option under:

Settings | Display | Camera cutout

This appears to be set by app now.  I do not remember seeing this before I went into the Beta, so am not sure if you even have that option outside of the Beta.