Original topic:

How to turn off AI photo 'refining' on S21 FE

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
Damanique
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Since a few months my camera app automatically started to 'refine' photos, in particular selfies made with the front camera, which basically adds this terrible AI filter pass which makes certain parts look too sharp and with an unnatural texture (in particular hair texture), adds fake eyelashes to my eyes, and sometimes even changes the shape of my face and the placement of my eyes. 

I absolutely hate this -- I can no longer capture an actual photo of my face with my phone, I just get this AI garbled, fake face instead. And I cannot find a way to turn it off.

The only workaround I've found is to -very quickly- switch to the Gallery and then take a screenshot of the photo whilst it's still being 'refined'.

I'm seriously considering changing phone brands to avoid this mess, but of course I have to find a way to verify that other phone brands have not included the same non-optional AI 'enhancement'.

Before 'refinement' (normal hair texture)

GVFpGBMXEAArGtu.jpeg

After 'refinement' (overly sharpened in some areas, unnatural hair texture)

GVFpGFFXYAAsVE2.jpeg

2 Replies
MLatak
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Cam settings, image optimization, turn that off, see if that helps
Alty999
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Go to cam settings, go to "intelligent optimization," and there are three settings: minimum, medium, and maximum. Turn it to medium. If the refining still happens, go to a minimum. Make sure to do this for front camera as well.
0 Likes