Original topic:

Remove Requirement of Nearby Devices Permissions for Camera App

(Topic created: 06-14-2024 09:12 AM)
PrivacyIssues
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Hi, I have this issue with my phone, Galaxy S21.  A recent update forces you to give the Camera permissions to access "Microphone and Nearby Devices".  I personally feel this is a privacy issue and if I could I would stop it all.  The camera don't need access to these items and should not be forced.

I saw a fix for this issue but it's not letting me see the fix.  Can I get help with this issue.  Regards,

12 Replies
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
With all due respect, permissions to use microphone are for the video camera, nearby devices are for peripheral devices that people use for their phones.

You can always go back to permissions and turn them off.
PrivacyIssues
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you for your comments.  You are correct microphone is for video camera, however I am not using video but the camera which has no need for a microphone.  Also, none of these, the video camera and camera requires access to nearby devices or peripheral devices.  I should not have to turn on or off anything thereby giving access to my devices nearby.  Regards, 

Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
I don't think Samsung is going to write code for a tiny community that are concerned unnecessarily about permission that are on device only.

There are launchers out there that will give you what you want to completely lock down your phone, even to the level of to degooglfy it!
VG318
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Exactly what launchers would that be? I'm interested...
0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Search YouTube, there are many videos on how to do this!
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

With all due respect, I beg your pardon. If they need to write a code to give more than a small portion of their community control back of our nearby devices, then that is on them they should not have changed it. It most definitely should be a user's choice. All we want is the ability to use our cameras on our phones that we pay good money for. For that matter, along with that update, they also took away our ability to disable apps we don't use.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

What do you mean device only? Regardless it's our device and should be our choice.  If I'm at an amusement park with my family and want to take pictures of them using MY phone that I PAID for I don't want every tom **bleep** and harry to be able to connect to my device. Don't say I'm paranoid I know that would probably never happen but it's the principle of the matter. APPS SHOULD ONLY HAVE PERMISSIONS FOR APP FUNCTIONALITY. We all already know this app can function without those permissions. They should be optional as in if I want to pair another device or record audio I will grant that permission.

0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Is it so hard to go back and disable those permissions, just a couple of clicks. It's still your choice, enable, disable is so simple!
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

Have you tried to disable them lately. Some you still can but a lot of them you are not able to. Perfect example they give you 2 choices for phone messages and contacts: Samsung and Google if you choose to use Samsung, Google let's you disable their app. But if you choose to use Google, samsung does not let you disable their apps. I know you're going to say if it's not the default it's disabled but it's not. It still runs in the background and uses memory

0 Likes