Original topic:

S21 or S22 or a different phone in 2024?

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
wexxs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

My old crappy phone broke and I have been looking for an older refurbished flagship phone from Ebay or Amazon and I found these two phones. I was wanting to get a second opinion on which you guys think the better phone is to get in 2024. Or maybe even if I should go for a different type of phone like a Google Pixel or XIoami or something. Currently the S21 and the S22 are going for $150 and $210 respectively for each phone. I have no phone shopping experience so I have no real idea what to look out for so I may be a bit oblivious to obvious answers.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to read this, it really does mean a lot šŸ™‚

I did also post this on other subreddits as well just to get a few more respones.

8 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21

Well, here's some info for you that may assist in your decision. The S22 is failing for a lot of people after the recent One UI updates, so you might want to stick with the S21.  Especially if you are considering going for a newer phone later this year or next.  I don't think either is going to get the next round of Android system updates (not sure as I don't know the cycle of those phones).  If price is your main concern right now, I'd probably go with a newer A series phone that meets your needs and price range, that way you will get all the updates until you are ready for a new flagship. There are inherent problems with buying used phones as you don't know how they were treated when they were owned, and even if they passed any testing the reseller did, you still don't know what will fail first. I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't *factory* refurbished, and even then I'd think twice about it.

LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@wexxs I would recommend that you checkout swappa. They verify working phones in good shape. You might also want to visit https://www.samsung.com/us/shop/outlet/ 

0 Likes
The Burg
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
One more thing to consider - it always seems to be the "Ultra" models that have all the problems. I bought my S21+ brand new and never experienced a single glitch. However, it was always Ultra owners who had problems every time there was a software update. I rarely ever saw a "regular" or "+" owner complaining.
Options
Galaxy S21
Yes. I see more people complaining about the s24 Ultra than the s24 plus, too. I have the s24 plus and I love it. No problems at all.
mscoralrose
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
I won't bore you with the details, but I definitely DO NOT recommend purchasing the S22ULTRA. This thing has been the bane of my existence for several months now.
0 Likes
Topazscorpian
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
I have the S21 and since Saturday I've been having an issue due to whatever Samsung had within their update that occurred that day. I can't connect to my wifi router at home and there seems to be no fix.
0 Likes
MagusXMortis
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
S21 Specs in fine print and in detailed comparison.. out ranks and provides noticeably better performance than the slightly altered specs of the S22. Unless you are dealing with the s21 ultra versus s22 ultra. That cae, s22 ultra out performs the s21 ultra... s21 to s24 in between is a slight mechanical adjustment to make it seem as if it is a better than previous year device. HUGE scale of the cellular marketing scam
0 Likes
StlCheesehead
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
S21 is a great phone
0 Likes