JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Secure folder crashing

(Topic created: 02-02-2023 04:57 PM)
userWK9T5Ti53N
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
My S21 updated last night. Since the update I haven't been able to access my secure folder. When I click on the icon I get the fingerprint prompt. As soon as the print is accepted the app seems to open where I can see all of the app icons, I then it immediately closes. I've tried using the pin and clearing the cache and app data. No luck. Anybody else with this issue?
JUMP TO SOLUTION
68 Replies
Nukem96
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Agree is the phone restarted in safe mode or a way to start the app in safe mode?
0 Likes
Yash1307
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Same issue here. Secure folder crashing after update yesterday

0 Likes
Nukem96
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Saw this in another thread on here. Restart your phone in safe mode. (Hold power button down, then press and hold the power off button, an option to restart in safe mode should appear) then you can go into secure folder, and move whatever documents, files etc from there. Now the OP said uninstalling and reinstalling the app would fix it, but that was not the case for me. However I was at least able to get my items out of Secure folder until the issue is fixed or I found something else to use.
andrewk0617
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/#:~:text=First%2C%20completely%20power%20off%2....

What a surprise.... Samsung should fix this issue ASAP !!

0 Likes
useroEANOhYxNp
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Same issue, S22 here. Hoping for swift resolution.
0 Likes
alansyn
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I was able to put my S21 5G phone in safe mode by powering off and then holding volume down button when Samsung appeared at startup. Have been able to get my files out of secure folder in safe mode. It took two tries, some were left behind. Uninstalled secure folder app. Unable to re-install it as there is no option to do that, that I can find.
0 Likes
SapperBill
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
Same issue. If I'm fast enough I can access the apps within secure folder with no issues. But the secure folder itself keeps crashing.
userWK9T5Ti53N
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
Update: I have been talking with Samsung Support US through Twitter. They suggested booting in safe mode (turn off, hold power button until SAMSUNG on screen, hold volume down till phone boots, shows SAFE MODE in bottom left corner). I was able to access and move all files within Secure Folder but not any of the apps (probably due to safe mode). After restarting phone Secure Folder starts crashing again. So, does anybody know what happens to the apps that were installed in/through Secure Folder if I delete Secure Folder and try to reinstall?
0 Likes
ZF911
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Zfold 3 having the same problem
0 Likes
userWK9T5Ti53N
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
Update 2: Finally got the "Let's do a factory reset" from Samsung Support. (Really can't believe it took them that long.) Since I'm not doing that, I figured I'd delete Secure Folder and start over. This is easier said than done.

Finally found an uninstall option through Google Play. It seems, however, that this only uninstalls updates since Secure Folder is a system app. After doing this I could only find the app by going through Settings>Apps. I noticed here though that I now have version 1.8.00.36. Here's the second catch. I had to turn off "Add Secure Folder to apps screen" and then turn it back on to get the icon to show up again. Now I can open the app and everything I had installed there is still there. (I had already moved all files out of Secure Folder through Safe Mode.)

Not sure if this is a solution or a work-around, but it's working for now. Hopefully, Samsung will produce an actual fix soon.