Original topic:

Text messages sent while phone off do not come through on restart

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
BetterUI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
I recently noticed that text messages that are sent to me when my phone is turned off are not coming through when I turn phone back on.

This has not always been the case, but seems to have happened after a recent software update.

Before the update, when I turned my phone on each morning, I would have several unread messages that came in over night while phone is off.

Any advice how this can be corrected, other than me having to now leave my phone on at night, which is not my preference. 
5 Replies
ultralost
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Excellent question. I've noticed that i don't always get texts on group texts especially if they have an Iphone. I'll get half the conversation and have no idea what they are talking about because i missed a bunch of texts. Plus if my Wifi is actually working (which is rare these days) I see texts are stuck in "download" and sometimes my outgoing texts are queued.

realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
It is not necessary to turn your phone off at night. If you don't want to be disturbed, configure and turn on do not disturb. Considering how long it takes to boot up, what are you going to do if you need to dial out in an emergency?
0 Likes
BetterUI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
I have a landline for emergencies. I turn phone off at night as a habit to power down and get updates.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
You can't get updates if the phone is off and your phone will not back up, as the backups take place in the wee hours of the night. You only need to restart your phone about once a week to keep it optimized, unless prompted by device care.
I know this still does not solve the issue of the texts not coming through on restart. You might want to contact your carrier, since all things text and call related are their domain.
0 Likes
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21
Many "landlines" nowadays, including mine and my elderly mother's, are actually Voice Over Internet now. If the power goes out, the internet goes out too and the house phone goes out with it. This may depend on where you live though, as I've heard that there are still some people using old-fashioned phone lines.

Smart phones are not meant to be turned off every night. It wears them out faster and there are other ways to save battery power.

If the phone detects that it hasn't been used for several minutes, it will go into sleep mode to save power.

You can also put the phone into power saving mode yourself. There should be a button for this on your Quick Panel. 1727533240827.jpg
0 Likes