Original topic:

Emergency Calls Only, Poor Service

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
RoloandKitKat
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Having an issue for a couple months now and have honestly run out of patience. A while back my S22 Ultra, began to lose service and show "emergency calls only" on my way in and back from work and also in my neighborhood. Since then, the issue has not gotten better, but probably has been worse. I initially contacted our carrier, who did quite a bit of troubleshooting (6-8 hours) over multiple days to not find any issues. I then put in a ticket with samsung care, who sent me to Ubreak it for evaluation. They didn't do anything and blamed the carrier.... at this point I went back to our carrier and they continued to state they didn't see any issues on the network/tower side. I then put in another ticket with samsung care and requested a replacement device, the replacement device arrived last week and the problem still persisted. To ensure it wasn't a carrier issue, I even switched carriers late last week, and the problem persists on the replacement device as well. I need a solution, as I can barely even make phone calls right now when not connected to wifi.

0 Likes
21 Replies
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22

It seems like the only option left here is that perhaps some software issue interfering with the mobile signal getting through.  You have a new device, odds of the same issue being due to a defect is slim, though not impossible. The fact that you switched carriers, would seem to conclude it is not a carrier issue.  Perhaps the S22 cannot handle the recent updates or is conflicting with other software you installed over the time you've owned the phone.   I assume everything worked well before the latest round of updates.  Did this condition happen after the Android 14/OneUI 6.0 update or after the 6.1 update?

0 Likes
RoloandKitKat
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

So looking back, I began having issues a week or so prior to March 27th. On March 27th, I went on a 2 week vacation and that delayed looking at/researching the issue, then work got busy etc.... The thing is, my wife's phone is the exact same model and we will be in the car together and she will have signal and I will have "emergency calls only".

0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
Which would seem to indicate that there is something in your phone's software configuration affecting the signal, unless your phones have exactly the same software and setup. Did any updates occur around that time?Have you, by any chance tried clearing the phone's cache partition since this started?

A drastic measure might just be for you to factory reset and go through the tedious process of reinstalling everything from scratch. Make a smart switch backup of your data and messages to an external device before doing so, although Google sync should have that info by default and you can restore selectively.

Other than that, I have run out of suggestions.
0 Likes
D36
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
My phone is doing the same exact thing, it's on SAMSUNGS END an they won't own up to anything. But they'll be sure to try to upgrade you for $$$. It's bullcrap, sounds intentional so everyone would believe their phone is broke, an upgrade like they want.
0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22

@D36 what makes you so sure it's on Samsung's end?

0 Likes
D36
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
An educated assumption, just within my family we have numerous samsung electronics, within the family 6 of us have the same issue with the S22 ultra, we're all on the same carrier network an the other devices work perfect, just the S22 from what we've experienced. 6/13 are S22's. The other devices work fine.
0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22

@RoloandKitKat I never asked if you or the carrier examined the SIM card for damage or to see it was seated correctly in the tray (assuming it's a physical, not an e-sim). Sometimes if a device gets jostled around a lot, the sim can dislodge from its nest.

0 Likes
RoloandKitKat
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Yes, carrier removed the sim card and did an E-sim to make sure. Currently using an e-sim with the new carrier. 

On your other note, I thought about the factory reset as well. When I received my replacement device I did the normal data transfer and then I did a factory reset on the old phone. After reset, I installed and activated just what I needed for my new carriers service. Same issues....I then just packaged it up and sent it off back to samsung and activated the service on the replacement phone. 

0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
So, you are saying you now have a replacement device and it's now working well with your new carrier?
0 Likes