Original topic:

Galaxy s22 not getting android 14/oneui 6.1

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
njbgalaxy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
I bought my s22 off Back Market as unlocked and have not had any problems with it. It is the 256gb model. I've been wondering why it hasn't been updating especially when I found out my friends s21 has the new update, so I contacted Support and they told me to try plugging it in to a laptop with smart switch to update it... I tried it... and nothing happened they were able to figure out by my imei that it was t-mobile locked, however it must have been unlocked since it works with my Verizon subcarrier mobile-X. They confirmed that it should update to Android 16 but I'm stuck on 13. They also recommended I get it checked out by a device service place but I don't want to pay since it's out of warranty. Just wondering if any of yall can give me some pointers, it's nothing urgent but it's kind of frustrating that i can't get access to the full potential that my device is supposed to have.
Thanks for the help
meself
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
Have you checked the Google account to see if they are still logged in
0 Likes
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
Plug in a tmobile sim and you should see the updates come in.
0 Likes
meself
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
Phone unlocked it should update with any Sim
0 Likes
njbgalaxy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Supposedly, tmobile is the one that got it first I'll give it a shot Tipsy
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22

I would second this.  Even if the device is unlocked, it still has a t-mobile model number.  When a device connects to the update server, it passes it's model number.  seeing as how you are on Verizon, the model number is not present so finds no updates.  On a t-mobile server it should find the update and allow the install.

No you cannot set this server yourself.

0 Likes
njbgalaxy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
So would it work if I put a tmobile sim in
0 Likes
mkjd
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Even though it got unlocked still updates come through TMobile, may be you can call TMobile and get that fixed, that's an issue with the locked samsung devices
0 Likes
njbgalaxy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
I can give that a shot
0 Likes
St3v3C
Sun
Options
Galaxy S22
When a Samsung device is unlocked, and you insert a SIM from another carrier, it should convert to that carrier. For example, an AT&T device that is unlocked, will actually convert to T-Mobile and brand itself as such. This doesn't always happen with Verizon...which is one of the reasons they've been sued several times.

Aside from that, updates are carrier dependent...Google bakes the plain version (aka vanilla)...Then that is distributed to the carriers so that they can brand it, as drivers and device configuration, then bake in their proprietary bloatware...it's because of that process that updates to Android can take up to 6 months or more after Google releases them...because of the carrier delay.

Now, putting all that together, the device is not still locked to T-Mobile...but it was a T-Mobile imei originally, so it's essentially "registered" that way. What you can do is contact T-Mobile and tell them you want to get the updates. They will ask for imei and tell you how to manually get them...possible even trigger an OTA for you
0 Likes
njbgalaxy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
That makes sense ill see if I can give that a shot
0 Likes