JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Privacy (Location pinging in background)

(Topic created: 03-25-2022 03:52 PM)
kv1532
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
This post is for those privacy conscience and aware of the insane data mining these companies do. r/privacy on Reddit is a great source for those wanting to dive into the rabbit hole of information about this.

I'm privacy conscience with tech. I know how foolish I sound saying that and yet still using Google/Samsung. I, however, feel like I've taken as many significant steps to limit data mining as I can short of going to custom ROM territory.

I obviously limit all "permissions" in the normie way and also run Blokada plus to just help take more control over things. I realized that Bluetooth is pinging my location every 1-3 minutes non stop. I can not revoke location access and unfortunately use Bluetooth on and off throughout the day so turning it off is not an option.

Here's my question: I don't recall my last phone S8 (Android 10) pinging location for Bluetooth (I could be wrong). Those of you with older phones, can you confirm if this is a new thing or has it always been. If new, this could be a major drain on battery and needs to be patched.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
22 Replies
ArtDesk
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
One of two ways...delete the Google account, and it all goes away. 2nd, method is disable all Google apps to you use them, and delete the app then sign back in from an EU location using your VPN. Then, deep dive into the menu and cripple all you can. Don't forget device manager and trust agent.
ArtDesk
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
For me, it's the principle of the issue. It causes unnecessary wear and tear on your hardware. You are buying the device so you can control what's going on. If not, just buy Apple and let Cook do it. Android is AOSP and is open-source software. Hardware manufacturers can control and dictate the protection of their hardware and customer experience. The only thing proprietary on Android is the Google apps. I uninstall, cripple or disable those immediately. The only thing running by Google is play services. If I use Playstore on my phone, I update my apps and quickly disable it. Play Services is running with very minimal permissions. If I really don't want to be bothered by Google, no account, and shop apps at the mall.
kv1532
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
Yes exactly I agree. Google is incredibly invasive and unfortunately I've invested in their ecosystem. It's just a matter of convenience vs privacy and control. I like to have a balance where possible, limiting giving my data voluntarily. But for some things it's "needed" and it's just the nature of how closed source apps are. I still limit everything they allow me to but they still gather tons of info. It's just how it is unfortunately.
0 Likes