Original topic:

S22 Ultra bricked after 6.1

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
userEFJ2o9kHhw
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Hey all,

Recently I got the S22 Ultra update to 6.1 and my phone seem to be lagging a bit... fast forward two weeks it started restarting on its own and went into a boot loop. Took it to an authorized service center and they said they couldn't flash a new firmware as the bootloader was locked and only Samsung can fix the software issue.

Now Samsung is asking me to pay 500$ because the mother board got fried. I don't know why I should be responsible for fixing Samsung's software mess up. The customer reps say its out of warranty like a broken record. I understand if the mistake is on my part but this was clearly Samsung's mistake.

The 6.1 update messed up the device and it was not just me facing this issue. I see so many other users here and on redit complaining the same story. 

Curious how Samsung turned completely blind when it comes to this issue. Has anyone else gotten any luck fixing this ? 

5 Replies
CosmicRayr
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
I don't use new Samsung phones, but I could be either the HARDWARE or the SOFTWARE. I've been thinking it's both because the motherboard got fried up and the update caused the brick. Sorry for your phone loss.
Note Neil
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

My s22 ultra has been pretty much unusable for the past month or more. Repeated freezes and random shut offs. When I do get it on and shut off the wifi and mobile network in airplane mode, it seems to be smoother. Can barely get to the factory reset recovery mode at this point, although have been able to factory reset it a few times. At times, even in the process of setting it up after reset, the errors pop up like system process not responding. Is there anywhere I can go and get the latest version flashed directly? It is already on the AUgust version, but I wonder if it is somehow corrupted and the reset goes and applies the same firmware on the device. I know I can use odin and flash the stock ROM, but was hoping I can take it somewhere and it may be faster and more predictable. I don't think Samsung has a store in Orlando where I am at the moment. It is an unlocked s22 ultra bought directly from Sumsung 2 yrs ago. I can get to the download mode. I was able to wipe the cache in the recovery mode yesterday with no relief. 

Helppp!

Members_JoaD1KC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

Samsung - you need to recall the S22 Ultra.

I similarly started experiencing this after upgrading to 6.1 a few days ago.

I have confirmation from AT&T Advanced Service Team that they have gotten a lot of calls from users with S22 Ultras who are reporting no ability to connect to the mobile network, or intermittent issues. AT&T confirmed that the fix was related to hardware, specifically the motherboard and possibly one other component, that would need to be replaced, and referred me to Samsung. AT&T mentioned that this problem seems to occur on average 1 year to 2 years after being put into service.

Samsung Support required it to be looked at by an Authorized Technician, which I scheduled, and that tech today also confirmed multiple S22 Ultra users having this issue, and similarly confirmed what AT&T Advanced Support team said: that the fix is to replace at least the motherboard. The cost for this repair is $500-$700, and she recommended that at that price it is likely better to buy a newer generation phone. I bought my S22 Ultra new, but it is about a year out of warranty.

Again - Samsung - you need to take ownership of faulty hardware and do a recall of these phones. They were your flagship phone, and need to be treated as such. 

I've confirmed this issue persists with physical SIMs, eSIMs, that the ICCID and EID are appropriately registered and match what's in AT&T's system, and given it days to propagate, of course power cycling as much as possible. 

Every other connection works (WiFi, Bluetooth, UWB, NFC, WiFi Calling) but off of WiFi it can't function as a phone.

userEFJ2o9kHhw
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Probably something Samsung really need to take note of... Taking responsibility for older flag ships ... The sole really it makes me even consider apple because the way it treats it's customers.. just been on Samsung for almost 10 years now and this is sad
0 Likes
Members_JoaD1KC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

Yeah, they make great phones, pushing boundaries that others catch up on later, and hardware specs that are generally hard to beat. I haven't had issues with any of their other flagships, but users on S21+ after the 6.1 update are generally not having a good day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/comments/1dr0h86/class_action_for_bricked_phones_post_61_update/

Generally issues reported are with unresponsive phones, bricked phones, not recognizing physical SIM and having to replace with eSIM. In my S22 Ultra case, the phone works fine except using mobile data and registering on the network. You can't easily rollback these software updates, so I'm curious if rolling back before the update fixes things...if it doesn't, then 6.1 clearly causes hardware malfunctions, and if it does, there's a whole slew of bugs that need to be communicated immediately and patched really quickly.

0 Likes