JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

voice to text punctuation

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
userEu9IZoKAwe
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I am legally blind and depend on both talk back and voice to text functions.

I much prefer samsung voice to text over google, but since the last update it has stopped changing spoken punctuation and is just retyping the words.  for instance, if I say the word "period" it used to type "."  - same with "comma" "," and "question mark" "?"

this used to work perfectly and sine I cannot see the keyboard well enough to use it, it makes my voice to text messages unreadable.  

why remove a feature like that completely and not put it on a switch in the settings?

thank you in advance for any assistance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
I had to switch to Google's Voice Typing in order to get punctuation to work properly. I don't know why Samsung's voice to text is so bad now.

Go to Settings > General Management > Samsung Keyboard settings > Voice input.  Select Google Voice Typing. Punctuation should now be recognized properly.

View solution in context

0 Likes
6 Replies
Mikeso3691
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
I can't find Google's text reader. It used to read whatever was on my screen. Now I can't get it to work and I don't think I've ever Heard of Samsung having that option before.
0 Likes
userEu9IZoKAwe
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

samsung's text reader is called 'talk back'.  it's in accessibility settings.    I've never used google's version.

0 Likes
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
TalkBack is Google's text reader. I think it comes installed on most Android phones as part of the operating system.
Solution
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
I had to switch to Google's Voice Typing in order to get punctuation to work properly. I don't know why Samsung's voice to text is so bad now.

Go to Settings > General Management > Samsung Keyboard settings > Voice input.  Select Google Voice Typing. Punctuation should now be recognized properly.
0 Likes
userEu9IZoKAwe
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

thank you, that works.  I don't remember why I preferred samsung to google's voice to text, but at some point in the past I chose it.  this is good enough to mark this as the "solution" even though it's a samsung message board, not android.  

as I stated in my OC, I'm legally blind, but only relatively  recently. I am not a tech novice, as my lifelong career was in IT, but now I'm dependent on the accessibility functions on my phone.  I want them to improve the product, but it's very frustrating for someone like me when they remove features that used to work perfectly and not give the option to return to them.  

tiger10000
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

I would really like to use the Samsung keyboard. But if the voice to text punctuation is not fixed, I will stay with the google keyboard for now.

0 Likes