Original topic:

Google or Samsung messages?

(Topic created: yesterday)
M_Rosa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I have the S23 Ultra and lately I'm prompted to choose between Samsung or Google messages every time I received a message. How can I fix this problem? 

21 Replies
Options
Galaxy S23
You need to chose one as the default. When you do that, you won't be prompted to choose anymore .
M_Rosa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Thanks for your response. I have tried to choose Google and make it my default one, but for reason it is still requesting to choose one or the other whenever I receive a message. It is very annoying.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Have you, in fact, made one or the other your default? If you did, you shouldn't get the message every time. I suspect that Google messages is the default, but when you get a message, you reflexively open Samsung Messages. Google messages is now the default messaging app on Samsung phones. You can still use Damsung messages, but you have to set it as the default and exchange the Google messages icon on your home screen for the Damsung message app. Or vice versa if you actually want to keep Google as your default. Exchange the Samsung Messages icon for the Google one.
M_Rosa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Thanks for your response. I have tried to keep Google as my default but I still get prompted to choose between Samsung or Google messages.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Are you accidentally opening the Samsung messages app when you get a message?
M_Rosa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I have always used Google messages every since I got the S23 Ultra but since last week I have been prompted to make a choice between this 2. So, I'm not sure if I have accidentally chose Samsung at some point.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
You will see that message, usually, when you open the non default messaging app.
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
settings > apps > choose default apps > sms app
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
You might also try making it the default in settings/apps/choose default apps and then select SMS from the list and make sure the circle next to the Google messages icon is filled. (Since they dropped the word Samsung from the app title, you have to go by icon)