Original topic:

No longer able to block calls?

(Topic created: 06-07-2024 01:04 PM)
humiliati
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
On a daily basis I get over 50 spam calls on my personal phone. Half of them leave voicemails and will fill up my voicemail box to an unusable state just 2 days. Something happened with the most recent update I'm no longer even able to I'm no longer even able to block or report spam calls this active armor pop up spam I abide in and I'm still unable to block calls. Having a cell phone is greatly distressing and a waste of immense amount of time can you please at least stop taking necessary Services away?
9 Replies
3Fees
Sun
Options
Galaxy S23
You mean in phone settings > Block Numbers > "Block calls from unknown numbers" is not working ?

Your cell phone provider should have spam controls in your account as well for your phone number.

Is your phone number registered on do not call registry ?

Cheers
3Fees
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

You are better off using your carrier's spam controls to block calls.  Blocking on your phone will not keep the spam calls from going to voicemail, it will only keep your phone from ringing or getting texts. That's why the calls are clogging up your VM box. Blocking through your carrier, the calls will never get to your phone or voicemail.  Be aware that blocking ALL calls from unknown numbers might prevent legitimate calls from coming through.  Choose the least restrictive option, like "only block high risk spam calls" or whatever terms your carrier uses.

0 Likes
humiliati
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
The carrier spam controls require me to unlock the phone, scroll over to the app, open the app, and click through a series of security notifications about how Google Chrome is potential malware. Open the phone folder scroll through the list of recent calls and block the phone number. It took me 10 seconds to hang up on this spAm call it's going to take me 45 seconds to block them now and that's if I'm not working outside with cold fingers trying to operate the phone with my nose
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Ok, so I guess it's less inconvenient for you to have a spam clogged mailbox, than to go through all that one time only. You surely can wait til you are indoors to do it.

It's all up to you. You have options and choices to make.
0 Likes
humiliati
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
But I have to go through it 30 to 50 times in a day while trying to use my phone for other things. It's an hour of blocking calls through the AT&T active armor. The options are being stripped from me by Samsung because it used to be I could just click block on the phone app while the spam call is ringing. Samsung removed the ability to block calls through the phone app
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Why? You should only have to set up spam controls once, whether on the phone or through the carrier. AT&T sucks anyway.

I have no problem blocking calls from my phone spp. Granted, I don't try to do it while the phone is ringing. Still, blocking the call on the phone will only stop it from ringing through, not from going to voicemail. When blocked, it probably goes direct to voicemail. I use my carriers visual VM app so I don't have to listen to a whole spam message before getting to a legitimate one. My T-Mobile app's spam call settings are virtually the same options as the phone settings, but also just set once and done. Maybe you have to jump through those hoops with AT&T because you are trying to do it with individual calls as they happen. See if they have preventative spam control settings somewhere, that will keep the calls from even getting through in the first place.
0 Likes
monrocloud
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Dealing with spam calls can indeed be incredibly frustrating and time-consuming. It sounds like you're facing a serious issue with the volume of spam calls you receive on a daily basis, and the recent changes in your phone's settings have only added to your frustration.

Despite recent updates, your phone's settings may still have options to block or filter calls. Look through your phone settings under "Phone" or "Call Settings" to see if you can manually block numbers or enable call filtering.

0 Likes
Bihee
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Just wanted to know if there was a setting for it on the 23
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

you can turn on spam blocking. Phone app, click the 3 dots upper right, select settings, turn on caller ID & Spam protection and click the header, you will have a choice to block all spam and scam calls or only block high risk scam calls, which will allow some to get through, but those are calls not specifically reported to Hiya as spam.  Then go to Block Numbers and click that header and you can also slide on "block calls from unknown numbers" which will block any number not in your contacts, or doesn't have a caller ID - clicking this may not allow calls that you need to come through, such as doctor appt reminders, potential employers, etc.

These settings will only allow calls not to ring on your phone but will allow them to get through to voicemail. If you don't want them to get through to VM, you will have to see if your carrier has similar spam controls.  Setting them with the carrier will not let them get to the phone/VM at all.

0 Likes