Original topic:

S23 Ultra App Permissions **bleep**!!!

(Topic created: 06-05-2024 04:23 PM)
jettefuel
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

My S23 Ultra has app permissions I cannot change!! These are just a few examples. Also, there is activity occurring that I have been able to confirm I have nothing to do with! Anyone else have super sketchy bs like this??
0 Likes
10 Replies
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23
Those are basic functionality permissions. Speech synthesis needs to be able to download new language files when updates come through. Emergency sharing needs to be able to reroute calls to emergency services to ensure an emergency call will go through in the event that an app, service or something else attempts to interfere with the call. It needs permission to grab onto a network to send the sos without user interfacement if there's no other network avilable. If you don't know what these permissions mean or why they have them, then you should not be messing with them.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Those aren't even permissions you should normally be seeing. You are rooting around in system areas and then will come here cursing when you actually mess things up. I agree with @TipsyTrex, leave what you don't understand alone.
0 Likes
jettefuel
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Those are apps, not system areas. I posted to learn. As a 55 year old recent **bleep** cancer survivor, I don't need assumptions or judgments. You're right in that those aren't normal permissions which, combined with the fact several even say they are vulnerable to malicious apps, is why I'm wanting to educate myself.
0 Likes
jettefuel
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
The bleeps, btw, were substituted for what the heck abbreviated and the type of cancer involving double mastectomy...
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
First, I'm much older than you. Second, what does being a survivor of anything have to do with anything? Here's some learning for you, permissions you can't change are necessary for the functioning of your device. It is doubtful that on a newly purchased and newly set up phone there is malicious software unless you bought it from a sketchy source or downloaded it yourself.
jettefuel
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
I have had the phone for 13 months. Purchased directly from Samsung. Screen was replaced in March at UbreakWefix as per my Samsung Care+ coverage, tech made me take phone out of maintenance mode which Samsung said was not necessary so nothing wrong with being educated
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Maintenance mode exists for a reason. There is no reason you would have to take the phone out of maintenrnce mode to replace a screen. All the phone's features still work, the mode potects your personal data and sensitive apps. Any function or setting a repair facility would need would still be accessible to them. Next time someone tells you to take it out of maintenance mode, walk out or have them explain why that would be necessary.
0 Likes
jettefuel
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
It took a week to get that appt set up and the next nearest authorized place is almost an hour away. The guy had a Deliverence-meets-Dumb & Dumber vibe. I was not happy about the situation but was nervous the growing crack would get worse, potentially causing the screen to fail. I did notify Samsung. Never again!
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Clear packaging tape or a screen protector will keep a crack from getting worse while you seek repair options. In any case All those permissions look legit. I'd keep an eye on my financial accounts for a bit, though, if your vibe was that bad.