Original topic:

SM-S918U1 is my S23 Ultra model

(Topic created: 6 hours ago)
Gatoronthelake
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I BELIEVE ANY GALAXY OWNER CAN GET ANY UPDATE THAT IS MEANT FOR THEIR PHONE BY USING A PC. USB C CABLE and the Samsung Smart Switch app installed on their phone as well as the PC. You get it all up and running and turn on smart switch on your PC and plug your phone into the USB and connect, the PC/Smart Switch recognizes the phone and model and comes back with the applicable update. You then have to download it to your PC to install it on your phone.
9 Replies
PrivacyandSecurity
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
You used to do it that way years ago. Today, you run the risk of bricking your phone.
0 Likes
Gatoronthelake
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
You mean it's safer to do it OTA ? It can't be 9 Gb like the Smart Swith update can it?
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Smart switch works fine to get your updates if it's not coming down automatically. Sometimes it's the only way to force an update. Doom mongers only want to make you paranoid. Trying to install an update not meant for your phone, that's a problem that can brick you.
0 Likes
Gatoronthelake
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Thanks I was thinking it was an official update because it came from Samsung Smart Switch....What about the size of it 9Gb ? Is that the whole file with the additions and subtraction
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
If it cane through smart switch, it would be official. The S23 is still eligible for updates, so that would be the right one. 9 GB sounds about right, but they don't list the size in the ones that come down automatically. Did you try seeing, on the phone, if there is an update ready for you? Because I think you are always better off with it coming directly to the phone.
0 Likes
Gatoronthelake
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Yeah, I have been looking for the ONE UI update 6.1.1 but I could only find it on Smart Switch. 7.0 is supposed to cone out next month. With all the bugs in 6 1.1, It might be better to wait fo 7.0? What's another month?
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
I'd wait for 7.0 to see if it comes down automatically. I don't know if 6.1.1 is particularly universally buggy - I haven't had any issues, but I'm just one person. Consider that the users of this forum are only a small microcosm of the millions of Samsung users, and most are here for some complaint. It makes it seem like Samsung makes the worst products in the world.
0 Likes
Gatoronthelake
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Just because and update has a glitch on one S23 Ultra, it's not neculissarily happen the same way to mine , I would have to have the same apps and software configured in the same way for a glitch to be guaranteed on my S23. But unless the 6.1.1 update comes down the OTA, I think I'm going to wait for the 7.0. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my inquiries. If I can ever help you one day let me know. Thanks
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
I could seear that's what I just said.
0 Likes