Original topic:

Search Nearby Stopped Working

(Topic created: 05-24-2024 07:43 AM)
GregD11
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Wife and I have used Smart Things and Search Nearby to find each other (actually find each others phones) in large stores, etc.  It's been handy because often we will not hear the phone ring or notice a text, so using this we could essentially walk right up to each other instead of searching for 10 or 20 minutes.

It's also very handy when one of us forgot where we put our phone.  The feature would let us walk right to it.

The feature worked this past week when I used it, but then yesterday it wouldn't work.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app, deleted all of us as members, etc.  Still no go on the Search Nearby.  It just spins and never detects the other's device.

Anyone else notice this problem?  I'm wondering if some Samsung update disabled the feature or if it's just a problem with our phones.

Thanks in advance for any help.

6 Replies
scousestevelally
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

My partner and I have just discovered that we can't find each other's phones with search nearby. But finding our devices generally still works. 

userH9NYz4TgE5
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Same here.

GregD11
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Glad to see it's not just our phones.  Hoping someone from Samsung will let us know what happened.

0 Likes
neomateo
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

The issue is in "Samsung Find My Mobile" build-in application. After update from Galaxy Store, updated device is unable to find other devices nearby, but still can be found by another one (if it has older version of this app). I hade issue with S10 and S23 but S20FE with old app was able to find both. After update on S20FE it has same issue as others.

neomateo
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

There is workaround with debugging over usb in development mode of Android.

1. Downgrade app with commands:
    1. adb shell
    2. pm uninstall-system-updates com.samsung.android.fmm
  2. Install older version of application from apk file ex. 7.3.15.15 (7.3.16.45 has issue)
  3. Block auto-update in Galaxy Store

As a side effect it is impossible to use new app Samsung Find, as alternative you can use Samsung Find page.

jsvr46
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
I have had the same problem, for about the last month. I can locate smart tags with search nearby but not phones or tablets. I contacted smartthings support and all they did was tell me what settings needed to be turned on. Not very helpful since I had already been using it with no problems.
0 Likes