Original topic:

Sudden screen dimming

(Topic created: 12-01-2023 11:17 AM)
KathyinCA
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
The screen on my S23 Ultra suddenly dims when I go through a low-light area, e.g., driving under an overpass. I do NOT have adaptive brightness turned on, and this has happened multiple times over a period of months. It drags the brightness slider to the left so the screen is nearly black and and I have to view it in a dark area to even see the slider to correct it.

Something is wrong. 
21 Replies
VenomBoi
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
It must be a third party app/ setting
0 Likes
KathyinCA
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Interesting idea, but I don't think I have any apps installed that would control brightness. Any ideas about what app or type of app might do that?
0 Likes
VenomBoi
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
I have s23u, and never experienced this, except with adaptive brightness
0 Likes
KathyinCA
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Right - it's weird. But has happened probably 5-6 times, always when going through sudden shade. If it was adaptive brightness, it would turn back up once back in light, but this stays dimmed.
0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

maybe it's the shock of sudden darkness to your eyes? (am definitely reaching here 😉)

0 Likes
KathyinCA
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Lol. No. If it was, it wouldn't persist when I come out of the overpass and the screen still stays dark.
OoYORIoO
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S23
@KathyinCA Please go to your Battery Settings and check to see if you have Power Saving turned ON ? If you have it ON try turning it OFF.

Also please be sure that all of your Applications and Software Updates are up to date. Thank you!
0 Likes
KathyinCA
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Great suggestions! I checked - battery saving is already off, and no software updates are available. Still baffled.
0 Likes
KathyinCA
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Haven't tried wipe cache partition - I'll look into that. I haven't done a factory reset since purchasing the phone when it first came out. And that would be my last, last, last resort. I have a number of apps and a lot of customization, so I would live with this occasional problem before I would do that.
0 Likes