Original topic:

Update 6.1 Deleted 1yr of Messages

(Topic created: 04-03-2024 01:30 PM)
Jorjimodels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Updated last night. Had an issue so I cleared the system cache. Suddenly I wake up and boom all my messages from last February - Now are gone, except photos. Tried to restore but it must have saved after the problem.

Is there any way to fix this at all? I have absolutely no idea why it happened, I've reset system cache before with no issues. Is there any way of obtaining older system backups on samsung cloud? Assuming it's a lost cause but wanted to try.
22 Replies
officiece
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Vielen Dank, dass Sie die Samsung Members App verwenden.

Wir benötigen weitere Informationen, wie z. B. detaillierte Schritte, die unternommen wurden, um das Problem zu reproduzieren, Alle spezifischen Bedingungen/Einstellungen Ihres Geräts sind in, wenn das Problem auftritt. Wenn Sie auch Screenshots des Problems/Fehlers oder eine Videoaufzeichnung des Problems teilen können, während es auftritt, damit unsere Entwickler das Problem richtig analysieren können.

Wir schätzen Ihr Geschäft.
0 Likes
officiece
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
translate 10 Gen. "Aeoloscelis" from Latin
0 Likes
Jorjimodels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Ich habe gestern auf 6.1 aktualisiert.
Danach funktionierte das Telefon gut. Irgendetwas war langsam, also habe ich die Cache-Partition des Systems über das Systemmenü gelöscht (ich glaube, es ist ADB). Danach sind alle SMS-Nachrichten von 2023 bis jetzt (an/von iPhones) außer Fotos verschwunden. Alte Nachrichten bleiben erhalten. Ich habe versucht, das Problem durch Wiederherstellung aus der Samsung-Cloud zu beheben, aber nach dem Löschen der Nachrichten wurde ein Backup erstellt. Ich möchte nur wissen, ob es möglich ist, sie zu speichern oder ob ich irgendwie auf ein früheres Samsung-Cloud-Backup zugreifen kann. Wenn nicht, ist es in Ordnung.
0 Likes
Jorjimodels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Phone: S23 Ultra
Updated to April 2023 newest update of 6.1
0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23

I am not sure why they disappeared, as messages stay on your carrier's servers, not the phone or in the app.  You might see if your carrier can retrieve them or if they are gone.   AT&T used to delete messages after a certain period of time, but I'm not sure any of the carriers do that anymore.  

If you are using Samsung Messages, switch to Google Messages and see if they come back. Likewise, if the other way around.  If they come back, you can switch back to whichever reader you were using originally, as the messages should repopulate themselves. Good Luck.

If you cannot manage to retrieve your messages, you can prevent future incidents by using a small app called SMS backup and restore available in the Play store.  You can back up manually or on a schedule.  I saved the last conversations I had with my late brother with the app.   SMS Backup & Restore saves your SMS as a batch file that can only be read from within the app, but you can read, print & restore them.  

Jorjimodels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
I appreciate the response, that's good to know. Had no idea it was stored on the carrier network. I will try to reach out and see if they could fix it; but I'll definitely follow your advice for backing up for the future.
0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23

Before you reach out, try the reader switch just to see if something got twaddled.

0 Likes
Jorjimodels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
You mean switching between Google/Samsung Messages right? Tried that earlier unfortunately it seems Google saved at the point where the main messages got deleted. Very odd though if they are supposed to be on the carrier server.
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23

That's why I don't understand either why they would just disappear. Have you done the obvious, like rebooting the phone again? I know you said you emptied the cache which required rebooting. If there were a lot of messages, it may take time for the carrier servers to redownload the older messages, especially if you had a lot. I am assuming the backup that now exists is from after the update?

It is not out of the realm of possibility that the carrier does delete messages after a period of time and the older messages you had were, in fact, downloaded to your phone and, therefore, not deleted when the carrier purged.

0 Likes