Original topic:

Brightness imbalances on Social Media apps

(Topic created: 3 hours ago)
HD7075
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Anyone else been having these issues on their S24 Ultra or any other devices? On social medias and YouTube included, some people's posts/pictures/videos are, for some reason, displaying much brighter than everything else on screen, even when you swipe down to the notifications. It's a weird imbalance that has been on my phone since launch and I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed. Not even changing the brightness will fix it. I assumed it might have been caused by that one Vivid video setting where you can make social media, and show/movie streaming apps more bright and vivid, but turns out they took off that setting on these phones/this version of OneUI, so there's no way I can fix it. Anyone else have this issue, or know how to fix?

Edit: I'm not sure if it has to do with HDR quality photos/videos, but it's a possibility. I just noticed on this YouTube video with HDR quality. Once again, the video itself is much brighter but everything else is at the current brightness setting.
0 Likes
5 Replies
AsanteBacala
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't believe it's the hardware or software. Did you try switching off adaptive brightness.
0 Likes
HD7075
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Just tested it out, and it didn't work unfortunately. I also tried out the other display options like eye comfort and screen mode, motion smoothness, etc. It's some kind of software issue, and I still believe it has to be either something in the code with the "Video Enhancer" setting they had on older OneUI, or maybe some auto-brighten thing for HDR content. It's just unfortunate I can't share it, because when I take a screenshot or screen record it, the issue fixes itself in the shot, or while I record.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
It's an HDR picture, it's not a bug with your device specifically.

This reddit post from 2 years ago is talking about it

https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/x19it8/the_new_hdr_integration_on_facebook_and_in...
0 Likes
HD7075
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Interesting, I just have to find a working way to turn it off now. It always happens on YouTube and Instagram, but I can't find a setting in-app, or in the phone's general settings, to turn it off.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
It's how the picture/video is uploaded. AFAIK there is no way to turn it off.
0 Likes