Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-01-2024 06:00 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,230 Replies
WillPetry
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Just received my new S24 Ultra and was in the process of transferring over all my info when I noticed the screen is dark and grainy? Doesn't seem to be happening in the apps. I've tried to switch my display color profile from neutral to vivid but that setting doesn't seem to do a thing in this phone. I've also tried adjusting adaptive mode and setting the resolution to 4k, resetting the phone to factory, all to no avail. The strangest thing though is if I view my wallpaper as an image in the gallery app, it's bright, not grainy and vivid! I have every Note (now Ultra Series) all the way back to the original Note 1 and none of them look like this. I hope a fix is coming soon!
Sun
Options
Galaxy S24
If you would have taken time to search this site prior to posting you would have found hundreds of similar posts all saying the same thing. Samsung is aware of it and they will hopefully be pushing an update soon.
WillPetry
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I've seen other posts. "If you would've just taken the time" is not the point. The more users make noise about this issue, the faster it escalates said issue and hopefully we'll get something pushed out sooner. That's the main purpose of a post like this.
Jkelley714
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
I agree that the more awareness, the better for getting a fix prior to return-window closing. What gave you the assumption samsung knows and is pushing an update? There has been two mentions across the internet on samsungs end about this, both low-level samsung employees, both with conflicting opposite information. Samsung has been dead quiet. I hope people make a million of these posts until samsung ACTUALLY acknowledges this is a major issue. Or I hope people return their phones
WillPetry
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
This has to be a software issue. There's no reason Samsung wouldn't push out a fix for this, and I think they'll do it relatively quickly. I'm in the business of helping small businesses and individuals switch from the Apple ecosystem to Android, and Samsung is my main recommendation for this. So I have a vested interest in them fixing their problems quickly. I do think they'll have a lot of returns if they don't push an update. I think 1 week for them to acknowledge the issue and they'll have it ready to push alongside the Feb security patch in 2-3 weeks. I have zero insider information, but I've been with Samsung for over a decade now, and I watch things closely. It's just a hunch, and my opinion, though.
WillPetry
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
This is why I give it a week. More posts like this and direct calls to CS will escalate the issue. It'll be fixed though. If not, mine goes back and I find something else to recommend
WillPetry
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Well we need a catchy hashtag for Twitter to make some noise then.
0 Likes
Jkelley714
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
I have also and while I don't disagree with what you say most people are going to expect a fix prior to their return windows closing
0 Likes
GatoL0c0
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I don't know about the grainy look that you're describing but the other part in regards to the vivid vs natural setting is a known issue. No idea when a fix is coming. If you search, you'll see more posts about it.

0 Likes
WillPetry
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
This is my homescreen... you can see the grainy texture. It absolutely does not have this grain in the original image or if I set it as the wallpaper on my S23 Ultra, S22 Ultra ect.1706840565088.jpg
0 Likes