Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-31-2024 12:14 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,236 Replies
RD235
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I think it's a hardware issue, too. I luckily haven't had this issue, but a friend had this issue and sent it back and received a new replacement, and it was fine.
0 Likes
Espeon
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Hello! As title says, under low brightness my display (no screen protector or eye comfort shield) seems to become all grainy with 2 faint but annoying horizontal lines about 1/5 way down from the top, and middle. I've attached some photos with different solid background colors taken with the S21+ I've yet to trade in. Is anyone else experiencing this or have a fix? Is this something hardware related that I'll need to get fixed? Loving my new phone otherwise but this is making me consider returning...

Faith7777
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Wow, that's very noticeable.
I waited till the last day to order my phone; for this reason, mine's not coming until the 21st. And then I'll have two weeks to check it out. I figured by that time, if they're going to fix any of these significant problems that I see, it should be done by then, or I'm just going to send it back without even opening it.
Loyd Koon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Looks to me like screen burn and a failing backlight resulting from excessive brightness. Amoled and Oled displays will burn really bad if you turn it up too much.
0 Likes
Hydrobud
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
It's from the anti-reflective display it leaves noise on some shades of greys
0 Likes
Loyd Koon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Those 'bars' and shadows is screen burn. I know it when I see it. Anti reflect coating doesn't do any **bleep** like that nor makes the screed dull. It's a coating on the outside that stops the sunlight and any overhead light from reflecting off the glass like it would if it was a mirror surface.
0 Likes
Espeon
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Any idea how this could have happened to a brand new device though? Brightness was never on max, nor brought out into a particularly sunny environment. Screen has barely been on a few hours total. Unless it was defective from the factory..

0 Likes
Loyd Koon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
It depends on if you use a lot of light and bright themes versus using the dark mode on system theme. The lighter colors use way more power on an Amoled screen than dark colors would which can cause screen burn. Also how long the screen stays on before it goes dark matters too. On my phone I always run dark themes and try to avoid the hot whites and so far never had screen burn on any of my devices.
0 Likes
Espeon
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm using the same themes as the Galaxy S21+ I've been using for 3 years, and it does not have any of these issues. I'm confused how my choice of themes may have caused screen burn or broke the backlight on a brand new phone.

Loyd Koon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
It happens. Sometimes it's the quality of the screen that's an issue. But more than likely you were scammed and got a refurbished phone in place of a new one.
0 Likes