JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

GPS location very unstable

(Topic created: 01-31-2024 06:42 AM)
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and started to use. The GPS is very important to us as we travel and hike very often. Also, we take many photos and geotag them so we can see where we've been. First thing I notice is that my location is jumping around in Google Maps! My location isn't even close to my home, and it looks like I'm in other people's yards and bouncing all over the place. The precise location NEVER locks! This also initially happened with my galaxy S22U, but was eventually fixed.

I used the GPSTest utility to look at the gps data and the satellite acquisition is poor. Most of the L5 satellites are missing and Beidou satellites are far and few between. The gps accuracy and speed are jumping all over the place. My S22U accuracy was fixed at 8.4ft and speed close to zero, since not moving. My S24U accuracy is bouncing all over but typically around 33ft, and my speed can reach 10mph! This is completely frustrating. Anyone else having this issue, or did I get a bad phone? Zoom in down to the outline of your home to see this problem on Google Maps. 
By the way, I tested the the gps location accuracy using the Samsung phone diagnostics and it said "normal". Normal compared to what? Samsung, I hope you're seeing this, and please fix asap. I will be returning this phone if this basic necessity can't be fixed, unfortunately.😞
JUMP TO SOLUTION
203 Replies
Nagarajkumbar
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I am seeing same issues with gps signal lost. Not able navigate some times.

0 Likes
Paranado
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

and the issue is still there. I had to return my phone today since this is a HUGE drawback. Seriously they don't test them when they release? We are talking about their main flagship phone for 2024

0 Likes
Karl Svozil
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Same here.

0 Likes
Aboodmhd
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I have the same issue, s24 ultra.
And it's driving me crazy
0 Likes
seedoublejuu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

This issue is still existing and terrible for travellers! We are currently in New York City - and navigation with my S24 Ultra as well as the S24 of my girlfriend is just frustrating - bought a Watch 5 Pro for navigation now (by the way with battery draining issue - next issue on a Samsung product). Using the "calibrate" feature in Google Maps helps for a few moments - then the direction of the arrow is bogus again. What was acceptable at least at home in Europe is now bloody anoying on our journey. Poor job, Samsung! You can do better, for sure!

0 Likes
Karl Svozil
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

It appears that at least some of the S24 are delivered with a defunct gps reception unit. This is, imo a *huge* problem for Samsung, as their current flagship is, for many users like me, worthless. I wonder what they intend to do about this? Call back the defunct units? (Maybe all?) Just sit it through and loose customers like myself? If this is not resolved I shall not buy a mobile from Samsung again, sorry!

NicoloD
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Wiping cache partition seems to fix the issue. I had problems with the compass (unable to get clear directions when traveling on foot). Also, if I moved the phone north-south-west-est the arrow of google maps didn't moves at all.  After the cache wipe everything came back to normal and the map now moves in sync with the phone (keeping the north at north). 

The steps to wipe cache partition are:

- connect USB cable / device
- power off handset normally
- as soon the screen is black (so before the charging circle appears) hold power and volume up until Samsung logo appears (handset vibrates).
- release buttons and handset will enter Recovery mode.
- navigate to Wipe Cache using volume up / down key.

No personal data will be lost; this wipe only the system cache. 

0 Likes
m3ron
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Thanks for this.

I just installed September update and wiped cache partition afterwards. Let's see if that will help me for good.

0 Likes
heisenberg8063
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Let us know bro 😉

heisenberg8063
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

09.09 Samsung release update for S24 series. Can you tell if it solved problem with GPS?

0 Likes