Original topic:

Phone connecting to random Wi-Fi networks

(Topic created: Thursday)
CUTTaRUGG
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

When I'm driving or running my phone connects to random open wifi signals. It's frustrating while on Zoom as zoom is interrupted each time. 

I looked at Intelligent WiFi settings but I don't see where this is happening. 

I've got Nearby device scanning ON but this should give me a pop up, right?
10 Replies
Kv_Tek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Under WiFi -> Advanced, is Hotspot 2.0 enabled?
CUTTaRUGG
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't think so1728001673179.jpg
Kv_Tek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
That's under the intelligent WiFi settings, right? What I'm referring to is here:1728006188225.jpg1728006188261.jpg
0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

Not sure why you don't just turn off Wi-Fi when driving, or running.  You can also turn off notifications of when a new Wi-Fi hotspot is detected.

Settings | Connections | Wi-Fi | 3 dot menu (upper right) | Advanced settings | Wi-Fi network notifications

There is also intelligent Wi-Fi, which has a setting to switch to better Wi-Fi networks, and while you are driving or running, there won't be one you trust, so it will try to connect to any it sees, and something is better than nothing.

Kv_Tek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Also worth mentioning is intelligent WiFi -> "Turn WiFi on/off automatically" if you don't mind using your location.
0 Likes
CUTTaRUGG
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't want to have to remember to turn off Wifi every time I leave my house.

I feel like I have it set up like I should. No?1728000768412.jpg
user2sDkdLWOqU
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Unless you need to connect with nearby devices then turn that setting off. Most people don't need that function unless they're doing a massive share with a whole room of people.
0 Likes
CUTTaRUGG
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
Which setting?
0 Likes
Kv_Tek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I believe they're referring to nearby device scanning. It shouldn't have anything to do with your issue, but yes, if you aren't actively using it, it should usually be kept off.
0 Likes