Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-18-2024 12:29 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,230 Replies
Nemohh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I myself have had four different S24 Ultras and even looked at ones on display at T-Mobile stores that had grain issues, all with varying levels of graininess. 

According to this Samsung Employee on reddit, all batches, including the February batches are affect...

There have been people who even got more replacements than I have, up to Five replacements and still have the grain, see here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS24Ultra/comments/1arne9c/comment/kqksw1y/?utm_source=share&utm_mediu...

There's no point in replacing the device unless Samsung officially addresses the issue.

Options
Galaxy S24
Sorry you are having a bad experience. FWIW, I pre-ordered my S24U and received it several days before it was officially released and I couldn't be happier with my device.

I wish you the best in getting this resolved.
Davecon11
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

My display is also great, no issues at all except for the "vivid" not working and AOD brightness slider not there anymore. I got mine about the same time you did............

David Conger
0 Likes
userperuser
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Do you have a link to that Samsung employee on Reddit?
0 Likes
Nemohh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

You can click the text on my reply, I embedded the link in the text.

0 Likes
Galaxy Knight
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

My S24 Ultra doesn't look at all like any of these pics at any brightness. 

Faith7777
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm getting my phone today, and I hope this Issue won't be present. It looks very noticeable. Thank you for the pictures and details!
YgorCortes
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

There are A LOT (if not ALL) of units in the S24 line that have a problem of noise that appears on dark screens and low brightness (like when we use the phone in bed before going to sleep).

What happens is that the subpixels of the display have different intensities in low brightness (as you can see in this picture below by Android Central), which causes grain.

20240218_172245.jpg

This problem is called mura, and all manufacturers know how to get rid of it using a demura process, but apparently Samsung simply skipped this step on the S24 line. You can read more about it in this article by Android Central here.

In this Reddit post, there's a person who returned their phone FIVE times and they all had the exact same problem. Some people don't notice it, but apparently every unit has it.

Also, some people (like me) have terrible diagonal lines on the screen, in addition to the noise, as you can see in this picture below, by a Reddit user: 

20240218_170332.jpg

There were two huge threads here in Samsung Members that Samsung simply removed. Will Samsung just ignore this problem? 

jahnnybgood
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

Samsung, what's your response to this? The screen issue is bad and you need to give an appropriate response, instead of gaslighting everyone.

YgorCortes
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Exactly! We need a response from Samsung at the very least.