Original topic:

S24 Ultra - texts from S20 not transferring completely

(Topic created: a week ago)
NewS24UltraUnhappy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I just purchased an S24 Ultra through Verizon. 

Big issue is text message transfer.  All group texts are gone (history with parents who have passed is lost if I keep this new phone) and no links or pictures in any texts transferred. 

Verizon has no idea how to fix it. Why they sell a phone they don't know how to troubleshoot is anyone's guess.

Anyone have this issue and get it resolved?

0 Likes
15 Replies
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S24
What texting app were you using?
Did you use Smart Switch to set up your new device?
0 Likes
NewS24UltraUnhappy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I did use Smart Switch. Message+ is the messaging app. Samsung Cloud not an option on S20. Verizon Content Transfer app also failed.

0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S24

Even if you used Smartswitch to transfer everything over from your old phone, I would run it again.  If you didn't use smart switch, do it now.  You can also restore your backup from your old phone which should still be in your Samsung cloud.  Go to settings/accounts and backup/restore.  Once you click on restore, you should see a backup for your current device and at least one backup for your old device.  That should bring back your pictures and texts.  

Who did the transfer, Verizon or you?  Anyway, either smart switch from one device to the other, or restore backup from the old device.

0 Likes
Benjoh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
She wants to use smartswitch to other devices then turn it off. I had to turn mine off and my phone is a A 11 G4/G5
0 Likes
NewS24UltraUnhappy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Verizon did the transfer using Smart Switch.  Twice, then another where they did something else. Maybe another total transfer with Smart Switch. 

I'll try using your suggestion of the cloud back up.

0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S24
Depending on how much you had on your phone, SmartSwitch should take about an hour from phone to phone. Any less than that, then the transfer may have been incomplete.
0 Likes
NewS24UltraUnhappy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Verizon did Smart Switch. Multiple times. Samsung Cloud not an option on S20. Verizon Content Transfer also failed.

0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S24

Samsung cloud is an option on all Samsung phones.  Verizon, specifically, for whatever reason, blocks access to it.  Google backup will contain those messages, however, as previously mentioned, you can only restore a Google backup upon complete phone reset AND you click the option when presented upon setup.

If the missing messages are the only thing you are concerned about, however, there is an app in the Play store called SMS backup & restore, and you can install it on both your old device and new device.  You can then use it to back up the messages on the old phone and then restore them on your new phone. You will need a place to back them up to though, so if you have One Drive or Google Drive, I suggest one of those, since the S24 does not have an SD card.

0 Likes
B-PNW
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Back the messages up to the Samsung cloud.. restore them on the new phone
0 Likes