Original topic:

Samsung Messaging App contacts

(Topic created: Friday)
SKC68
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have a Samsung s24 Ultra running One UI version 6.1. I use the Samsung Messages app for texting and the Samsung Contacts app for storing people's information. I have two Gmail accounts logged in on this device. I have nothing but Emails syncing on the second Gmail account. But, within the Contacts app I can see the people who are stored under the second Gmail account. Which I know I can select to only View the people under the main Gmail account I want to see.  But, the Messages app is labeling text from certain people with the name that is listed under the second Gmail account.  How do I get the Messages app to only use the people who are in my main Gmail account and not anyone from my second Gmail account? 

I hope this makes sense, if not ask me anything, I appreciate any help I can get. 

0 Likes
4 Replies
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

There is an option for what to sync under accounts, you can uncheck contacts from the second account, and then the phone won't pull these, not sure if that is what you are looking for or if you want the contacts on the phone but not to be visible in the text app, which I don't think is possible if they are synching...

0 Likes
SKC68
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Thanks for replying. On the second Gmail account, everything is unchecked except for Email. So contacts should not be syncing, because it's turned off, but they are there and the texting app is using some of the names from this second account.
0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

Perhaps these got synched over before the synch was disabled, and are not deleting?  I am not sure beyond that, sorry, just throwing in what I found out (I linked my sisters Gmail account, and did not know to disable synching until my calendar filled up with her work schedule...)

0 Likes
SKC68
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I agree with you, I believe they did sync before I could get to the settings fast enough and turn it off. Unfortunately because it is now turned off, I cannot filter my contacts to that second account to delete the ones that did sync. So now I have over 1,300 contacts to go through one by one to figure out which ones to delete. šŸ¤¦

I just don't understand why Messages is using contact names from the second account. I don't see anywhere in the Messages app to tell it which contact names to use, meaning which account to use.
0 Likes