Original topic:

Samsung S24 demands a PIN that I don't know for 5 months than a fingerprint is all I need.

(Topic created: 05-31-2024 05:55 PM)
Lockedout
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Ive had my S24 Ultra since release. The day before yesterday while driving, I glance down and see my phone is asking for my PIN-with a message saying something about when using biometrics if the phone has been out of use for 4 hours, for my protection, I need to enter a PIN. For my entire length of ownership, I have used the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone.  When I arrived home, I enter a PIN that I am positive would be the one that I created.  Phone says its incorrect. Long story short, after the phone has conditioned me for 4 or 5 months that my fingerprint is good enough, I now am in forgot PIN **bleep** where I now have to wait 24 hours in between each attempt. Both my carrier and repair shops are telling me the only option is a factory reset. Which for all intents and purposes isn't an option for me since I dont want to lose the 4 months of my life Ive poured into the device in videos and photos- including a recent trip to Thailand.

I have tried using Smartthingsfind to reset the PIN but that doesn't seem to retroactively work since I never used it prior to having this issue. Now did I setup any kind of cloud because again- Ive never encountered this issue with the phone.

If that doesn't work, is there any way I can use a PC to simply download the photos and videos off of the phone? Losing all of my apps and having to manually key in login details again for 20-30 apps is bad enough but losing my data is a NO GO if I am pushed to factory reset the phone. I've asked on other forums and you always get that one moron accusing you of stealing the phone. It takes all of 30 seconds to search on youtube and find out how to factory reset the phone. If I wasn't worried about the hundreds of gigs worth of photos I've put on the phone over the course of ownership (which a thief wouldn't be), that is what Id do.

The other blowback I get is from people being absolutely positive that there is just no way on Earth that the phone would suddenly ask me for a PIN I can't remember. And to those types, I really dont know how to respond other than I hope they never have to go through the **bleep** I'm going through of a 1300$ device suddenly deciding it is going to be unusable. Even the timeline in which the phone decided to do this makes ZERO sense. There is no way that there had been four hours since I had last accessed the phone. It was during the day, not at night. Furthermore, I can't recall the phone ever demanding a PIN instead of a fingerprint any morning after I woke up which obviously would be EIGHT hours of inactivity. People act as if the device can't be flawed and condition you into a **bleep** where it feels like your data is being held for ransom making you despise the brand. It doesnt ask to scan my face- an option I set up, it doesnt ask for either fingerprint despite me registering two, it doesnt ask me for a security pattern which is what I use for my secured folder. It asks me for the one thing that I can't really recall it ever asking me for. If it did, it was very early on in my ownership.

Barring that, could an actual Samsung tech/rep be able to help me unlock the phone somehow? I can prove I'm the owner however they want. ID, **bleep** sample, blood sample, hair follicle, interrogation, **bleep** go ahead and waterboard me for all I care. I just dont want to lose the data on my phone. 

Or at the least, is there a way I can either reset the absurd amount of time it takes before I get to try another random PIN guess? Or again is there a way I can hook the phone up to a PC and get my photos and videos that way? I would consider a factory reset IF IF IF IF I could get my data off the phone and save it to a cloud or harddrive before resetting the phone. 

10 Replies
primarya1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm having the same issue on my zfold 5 I have one more attempt for a pin that was never set up before all my passwords get wiped
0 Likes
amaiamai2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
The only option is a factory reset unless you use methods likely not discussable here to bypass the lock.

That lock exists so that when your phone is stolen, someone can't just use your phone apps without restrictions.

Anyway, its a bug that has been around since Android added FRP you were just unlucky.

The pin is likely a null value, which is not enterable, meaning you need to bypass it.

Ask on xDAdevs. If you had USB debugging on you can also fix the issue by using ADB. But again, likely not discussable here since it involves bypassing security meant to stop hackers and a possible exploit I never bothered to report.
0 Likes
Lockedout
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I'll check that site out, thanks. Easy enough to find? 

0 Likes
Lockedout
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Another question. I noticed that within my Samsung account, there are a few 9 digit 'backup codes' that make it sound like they are for my scenario. I tried one this morning and the phone did not unlock but it also didn't immediately boot me out for another 24 hours. What are these codes meant for? 

0 Likes
BRANDyBONNER
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't know about hooking to a computer. It's worth trying. Perhaps your pin set to 1111 or 0000 or 9999 or the last 4 digits of your phone number. I pray you get it resolved without losing any data. If your phone is set to automatically backup to the cloud then all of your data and pictures will be there. I hope this helps.
0 Likes
Lockedout
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

So just as an update,  I am still locked out of my device.  amaiamai2, thank you for the XDA forum suggestion. Despite about half the users there being **bleep** and accusing me of having a stolen phone (again I could just factory reset), one user posted an old Samsung thread about a bug where users were encountering the same thing I am. 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/mobile-apps-services/lock-screen-suddenly-asks-for-password-alwa...

I'm not sure if I'm suffering from the same bug or not but all I can ask is for people to use some common sense here. If the phone does indeed ask for your PIN every 3 days- or after 4 hours of inactivity, how could even the dumbest person you know forget their PIN? That is why I keep reiterating that I can't recall this phone ever requiring me to enter a PIN. Maybe....just maybe when I first bought it. Never after waking up for the day or after the 3 days everyone else mentions can I recall this phone asking me for a PIN. And Im the type of person where I dont change my PIN. It would be the simplest thing ever. 0000 is my go to.

Can anyone else with an S24 recall if their phone required a six digit PIN? Of note, my phone will not even highlight 'OK' when entering 4 digits. I ask because of 0000 always being my default.

If this is indeed some bizarre bug that I am suffering, I'm guessing Im probably **bleep** because the only way something would change would be if my post could get enough traction (LOL) or enough people have this issue that it catches Samsung's attention. And with the amount of people just assuming I stole the phone, Im guessing either its a rare enough issue I'm one of a handful its happened to or other users have been lucky enough to have Samsung or Google photos backups so it was only a minor inconvenience and the phone didnt do it again.  

0 Likes
userPxqaEtuwbb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Going through the same garbage right now. Won't recognize the pin as i swear I had it saved. Thankfully my fingerprints still work, however that does nothing to help me reset my pin and its only a matter of time until I end up in your same situation. 8 hours on the phone with Samsung wasted my time while they failed to save a backup to my laptop and 3 different agents eventually "dropped" the call, until i gave up at 4 AM and went to sleep. THIS S**T IS PREPOSTEROUS !!! THE CRAZIEST IDIOTIC FIASCO EVER!! I've NEVER been angrier at a company for such outrageous incompetence and moronic lack of forthought or grasp of potentiality of extremely inconveniencing a customer and destroying a brand loyalty. Yesterday I had a disaster when I got locked out of the phone for two hours for pin attempts when I was due to make important meet plans with a supervisor. I AM SO OVER THIS!!! Tonight I'm trying to backup with Smart Switch and then factory reset, however I went through the same thing with a Samsung tablet recently and ran into the "Unauthorized Reset" garbage; supposedly once you enter your proper account passwords you get past that block. NOT ME! Despite entering the CORRECT account information, and the tablet ACCEPTING AS CORRECT those details,  NONETHELESS it REPEATEDLY, again and aagain and again, over 4 days, returned me RIGHT back to the "Unauthorized Reset" page! I swear. Samsung is making me EXTREMELY TEMPTED to jump ship. I love SO much about Samsung. Have upgraded to new Samsung for TEN YEARS straight. But this whole scenario ??? I honestly want to fly to South Korea and scream in someone's face for three or four days while some executive bows and apologizes until I get this all out (probably more of a Japanese tradition but it sounds great to ME!) I AM SO ANGRY!!! WHO ELSE COULD HAVE MY FINGERPRINTS AND FACE??? WHY IS THAT NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO RESET A PIN????

0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

Since the launch of the S24 series, it has required a minimum of a 6 digit pin if you dont want to hit OK.  You also needed to have a security setting enabled BEFORE enrolling a fingerprint.  So you did, in fact, create this pin.  There is a work around that will allow you to set a 4 digit pin, but if your OK button does not light up after four digits, then you have a 6 digit or more pin.

As for not wanting to factory reset your device, due to pictures and the like... If only pictures videos and other backups could be stored somewhere else, like in some sort of cloud, or some sort of a computer...

0 Likes
Lockedout
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

If only the device wouldn't lull you into a false sense of security  over the course of five months and you find out that all recovery options like backing up to Samsung's cloud have to be setup BEFORE the fact. 

0 Likes