Original topic:

Was the Uncompressed RAW feature been removed?

(Topic created: 01-27-2024 12:18 PM)
UltimaGaina
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Can someone clarify why the Samsung S20 series (including S24U) stopped generating uncompressed RAW files sometime in Q1 2023?

In Pro mode, we now have JPEG compression in a DNG container. It is a 12-bit JPEG.

Expert RAW has the same JPEG compression (on 16 bits, probably because of HDR) for S22U and S23U, while on S24U it shows as "Unknown (52546)" compression. According to an article I found on Samsung India, it is said that this is a new JPEG XL compression.

Why not offer the option to get again (as we had before Q1 2023) truly uncompressed mosaiced RAW, which works with the Lightroom Denoise AI algorithm, instead of the current demosaiced compressed Linear RAW, which doesn't.

93 Replies
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

So was it the update to One UI 5.1 that broke it?

UltimaGaina
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I noticed that the Express RAW DNGs now have ~25 MB, instead of ~5 MB, as they had when the S24U was launched. It may mean that Samsung is now using the lossless version of the JPEG XL compression algorithm. There is no way to tell this with certainty, the file size being the only indicator.
But they are still demosaicing them, keeping them incompatible with LR Denoise AI.1712702031174.jpg
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

They played around with the compression. As they removed the compression on the release before that as this seemed to cause the extreme colorbanding. So they brought the compression back now and made it optional again (similar to previous versions before the S24U, but know you decide between extreme compression or just a little compression).

If you turn it off you probably get lossy compression, this only applies to 12MP and 24MP. 50MP will disable that switch.

Still no difference in regards to highlight recovery when comparing to the jpg. Using lossless compression (switch on) produces less artifacts in low light photos. Still the dng seems pretty much obsolete since I can do the same with the jpg.

And of course no progress in the more important clean RAW in ProMode. I don't see any use for LR Denoise for ExpertRAW as those stacked photos are already clear of any noise.

IMO they need to fix ProMode first, later they can look at the toy that is "EpxertRAW".

rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

No improvement with June update. 

0 Likes