Original topic:

Will modes and routines be able to monitor calendar events?

(Topic created: a month ago)
RobChilcott
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Will modes and routines ever be able to monitor and trigger by calendar events? I use locale to do this bit would rather have all my automation in modes. Tried triggering on notifications from the calendar but this is messy and works only part of the time.

10 Replies
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
What are you trying to get it to do?
0 Likes
RobChilcott
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I want my phone to turn on do not disturb plus some other settings if I am in a class or meeting and turn back after the calendar event ends
0 Likes
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
I would use a Routine with two triggers: one for the location and one for the time of the event. If a Routine has more than one trigger condition, all of them must be true before the Routine will run (the place and time conditions must both be met).

I would not use a Mode for this because a a Mode will run if any one of the conditions is true regardless of whether the other conditions are true or not.
RobChilcott
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
My meetings and classes do not happen at a set time or place. I was using a routine triggered by a notification to wait 15 min then turn on a mode with an hour duration. This works except for some reason the mode does not stop after an hour. It changes to xx:xx "the next day" and will not stop until manually stopped. I am using the app locale right now for this, and it works great
0 Likes
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
Routines can now change wallpapers just like Modes do, at least with a phone. I don't have a smart watch, but I would think Routines should work for those too.

Modes and Routines may have a few bugs after the last update. I have a couple of Routines that turn Do Not Disturb on, one for work from home and the other overnight. I set both to revert the settings when finished, but no matter which option I pick, DND just will not turn off afterwards. I ended up having to make two more Routines just to turn DND back off in the morning and after work. šŸ«¤
0 Likes
RobChilcott
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I was not aware I will try to set up a routine with a wait in it to see if I can get that to work. I like locale because it turns on and off following the calendar but they have changed to a subscription model and I don't know if I want to pay 20 bucks a year
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
AutomateIt apparently also can trigger from a calendar according to the screenshots in the Play Store. I only used the free version of that one a few years ago to automate an entry level phone for my mother. I don't know what the current version is like.

Tasker is an app that I've heard good reviews about, but I've never used it myself and don't know if it has the calendar trigger that you want.
0 Likes
RobChilcott
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Tasker is great and you can do alot with it but it is very complicated to set up. I tried it years ago but got frustrated. Locale is easy to use and works almost flawlessly. I will probably just swallow it and pay for it. It's only 2 bucks a month. But everything costs monthly any more and it adds up
RobChilcott
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Here is another thing. Just tried to set it up and if you try to trigger a routine with a notification it won't let you change the wallpaper as an action. Says they conflict. Thanks for the suggestion