Original topic:

Compass/Map issues on Watch 7 Ultra

(Topic created: Saturday)
Members_9TdDiWR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've had this issue going back to the W5P.  The problem is the map layout is either incorrect horizontally or vertically.  I tried to illustrate the issue below in the images. Does anyone know a fix for this?

In this image, I'm using Somyac. The Hudson river is on the left (beyond the trees). On my watch it shows to the right. If I change the orientation as shown in the image to the right, the layout matches, but now the text and display are upside down.

20241009_152422_1.png

In this image to the upper right where the bokeh effect occurs, there are steps leading to the end of the trail.  The text directions are correct. The map is flipped horizontally and vertically.  This app is Outdoor active.

20241009_152422.png

5 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
Do you have your maps setting to have North always up? If so, turn that off (in navigation settings on phone).
0 Likes
Members_9TdDiWR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks for the reply. Neither app has navigation settings with that option and I don't see navigation settings baked into the phone's OS. Somyac has an auto-rotate option that slightly fixes the issue, but at some point when I make a u-turn it will not adjust correctly.  Outdoor Active doesn't have any options like that.  I just tried to re-calibrate the compass on my watch and I switched it to true north.  I might do some more testing tomorrow.

It isn't a problem with google maps on the phone and I don't think it happens when I import a route into Samsung Health. I'm not sure if it's a problem with google maps on the watch because I don't pay attention to it.

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

Go to Maps, tap your initial for the map settings, scroll to navigation settings, tap that and scroll to turn off the keep north up. The nav settings are only in the phone app and the phone informs the watch1728782248282.jpg1728782248344.jpg

0 Likes
Members_9TdDiWR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks. I see that option in google maps. It wasn't enabled.  I also don't think that would change the way other apps work, but I'm willing to try anything.  I'm going to enable and disable it to see if there are any results.  The image below is a better example of the issue.

The map is completely backward in comparison to the street layout.  Houston should be facing up and the train station is actually on the left of Broadway.  The traffic is also going in the wrong direction on my watch.

Screenshot 2024-10-13 110053.png

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
It should work. The settings inform borh rhe watch and phone. I always had a problem with the maps facing the wrong way until i turned it off.
0 Likes