Original topic:

Recent Smart Switch Update Issues

(Topic created: 04-27-2024 10:36 AM)
userpvse8N3cQZ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello and hope all is well!  Quick question/issue.  Earlier this month, the Smart Switch app updated and I started noticing issues with my backups.  I have several watches on my account, still using a Watch 5 Pro LTE and Watch 6 Classic.  Both had backups of about 6 GB on my phone, as well as on my Cloud.  Earlier this week I noticed that the backups on the phone disappeared.  Then, when I added a new Watch 6 on Wednesday, purchased to replace the Watch 5 Pro, it continually starts backing up up throughout the day, only to overheat and stop, never completing.  I finally get it to back up by leaving a fan blowing on the back of the watch when it starts backing up only to have it completely disappear from my phone when I put the Watch 6 Classic on the next day.  This has happened day after day.  In short, backups no longer seem to be working, and I no longer have any full backup on my phone.  Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?  Smart Switch/backups had worked well for about the past 4 or 5 months, so I'm thinking it is related to the latest update.  If so, hopefully it will be fixed soon.  Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!

7 Replies
Members_j4oNc81
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am having similar issues with my Galaxy Watch 5.  It would backup like clock work each early morning until the latest update to Smartswitch was installed.  After that update, the backups are not working. I have tried everything but reinstalling the SmartSwitch app. I do not want to lose my existing backup if I am able.  I hope Samsung discovers the issue and publishes a fix.

0 Likes
Members_j4oNc81
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

A quick update - I decided to bite the bullet and uninstall Smart Switch and lose my backup to see if that would fix my issue.  This may not help you, but I am now seeing regular backups happening again.

0 Likes
userpvse8N3cQZ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello and thanks for the update!  Quick follow-up, are the new backups on your phone or just the cloud?  Also, are they full back-ups?  I've noticed small backups of the watch again but only on the cloud, and certainly not the 6 GB they had been before this issue.  Also, do you mean uninstalling the app on the phone and then downloading it again?  Thanks so much, I look forward to your response!  Have a great day!

UPDATE:  The Smart Switch app cannot be uninstalled on my phone, only the updates can.  I did that, but then had to reinstall the updates for Smart Switch to work on the Wear OS app.  I installed the updates again but Smart Switch is still backing up the same problematic way, i.e., not on the phone and only 300kb on the cloud instead of 6gb on the phone like it had been.  It appears I will just have to wait for an update/fix.

0 Likes
userpvse8N3cQZ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Second Update!  Others are also having this issue as I've been reading in the reviews of the Smart Switch app.  I reached out to Samsung last week, and then again today, and it appears they are now at least aware of the issue.  For the past month, it has been a chore getting a full backup completed since the watch keeps overheating so it is completed in pieces.  On the rare occasions that I do get a full backup, it is disappointing when soon after the backup disappears from my phone for no apparent reason.  There must be some bug causing the backups to delete off the phone.  Fortunately a few of my older watches still have full backups in the cloud, those are still in the Wear app with the cloud symbol (not actually saved on the phone itself).  Hoping for an update/fix before the Watch 7!

0 Likes
ALBERTAZEBRA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My watch hasn't backed up since April 17th (Canada) and there is no option that I can find to manually back it up. The settings area that the whole internet says...does NOT work on mine.

0 Likes
AlinCristian
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have the same problem.

I have Galaxy Watch 6 Classic and an S22 Ultra.

Last backup April 19th. Tried disable/enable Smart Switch app and forced stop, it can't be uninstalled. 

0 Likes
userpvse8N3cQZ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Quick update!  I received a new Smart Switch update on my phone yesterday, June 18, though it's dated June 14.  My watch 6 backed up correctly yesterday afternoon and again overnight.  Thankfully, the 6 GB backed up on the phone and is still there now, as it had done so before the April Smart Switch update that started this issue for me.   I had reached out for help in the Samsung Members app in May, and they responded about a week ago that a new update was coming in June.  So hopefully it is fixed now!

0 Likes