JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

8000 series (2018) TV Ethernet speed

(Topic created: 02-27-2019 04:06 PM)
rickatk
Halo
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Does anyone know what speed the Ethernet port works on this series tv?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
rickatk
Halo
Options
HD and UHD TVs

@rickatk wrote:

Samsung advises:

Counselor  answer

Hi Rick,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Care.

I will help you with the required information about TV UN55NU8000.

If you want to connect the TV to wired internet, you need to use a CAT 7 cable (*STP type). And, the internet speed will be up to 1 Gbps based on the length of the cable used. You could contact your internet service provider to check the speeds and requirements.

Please feel free to contact us back anytime for assistance on Samsung products.

Thank you for being a Samsung Customer!
Kind Regards,
Nancy
Samsung Canada Customer Care
http://www.samsung.com/ca

Thanks Samsung: This is good to know especially if the Smart TVs are becoming serious alternatives to external streaming devices like Apple TV. In fact right now the Samsung 8000 series TV offers YouTube in 4KHDR, something not avaialbe on Apple TV. 

One optional connection might be a multi router setup with direct connection(Ethernet) to the TV. Presently I get 150- 175 Mbps over wifi on an ageing AirPort Extreme. This seems to be pretty good and certainly keeps Netflix, Prime and YouTube pretty happy. I am looking forward to iTunes HDR movies this month as well. So with with the new Mesh style routers, a direct connection via a satellite mesh router should work pretty good too!

View solution in context

0 Likes
29 Replies
Solution
rickatk
Halo
Options
HD and UHD TVs

@rickatk wrote:

Samsung advises:

Counselor  answer

Hi Rick,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Care.

I will help you with the required information about TV UN55NU8000.

If you want to connect the TV to wired internet, you need to use a CAT 7 cable (*STP type). And, the internet speed will be up to 1 Gbps based on the length of the cable used. You could contact your internet service provider to check the speeds and requirements.

Please feel free to contact us back anytime for assistance on Samsung products.

Thank you for being a Samsung Customer!
Kind Regards,
Nancy
Samsung Canada Customer Care
http://www.samsung.com/ca

Thanks Samsung: This is good to know especially if the Smart TVs are becoming serious alternatives to external streaming devices like Apple TV. In fact right now the Samsung 8000 series TV offers YouTube in 4KHDR, something not avaialbe on Apple TV. 

One optional connection might be a multi router setup with direct connection(Ethernet) to the TV. Presently I get 150- 175 Mbps over wifi on an ageing AirPort Extreme. This seems to be pretty good and certainly keeps Netflix, Prime and YouTube pretty happy. I am looking forward to iTunes HDR movies this month as well. So with with the new Mesh style routers, a direct connection via a satellite mesh router should work pretty good too!

0 Likes
useri5LYIYwsw4
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I am getting only 95 mbps and have a Xbox in the same connection getting 450 mbps. Both connected from same router with cables. 

Please tell me why?

0 Likes
rickatk
Halo
Options
HD and UHD TVs

@useri5LYIYwsw4 wrote:

I am getting only 95 mbps and have a Xbox in the same connection getting 450 mbps. Both connected from same router with cables. 

Please tell me why?

I originally had my router set to dual band, the TV only pulled down 1-6 Mbps. I then set my router to discrete and pointed the TV to the 5GHz band. My TV now pulls down 130Mbps, all on a 600 Mbps service.

If your TV is getting 95Mbps on discrete 5GHz that may be the best you will get.

If Samsung is serious about their TVs becoming good streamers they will need to step up their game with the wifi’s cards!

0 Likes
Nemesis_
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

This is because the ethernet port on the TV is only FastEthernet (10/100mbps)

Using 5Ghz Wi-Fi will get you faster speeds but higher latency.

userypVzHTbIea
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Why is it required to have a CAT7 cable when a CAT5e is the minimum required for Gigabit ethernet?

Another reference for the benchmarks others may be getting, but I am usinga CAT6 cable and still get right under 100mbs instead of the 150 that my connection is rated. On 5GHz wifi on the same TV and network I get closer, or a little over, my rated speed of ~150.

Nemesis_
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

It isn't required to have CAT7, in fact it is utterly useless because the ethernet port on the TV's aren't even gigabit. CAT7 ethernet is made for 10gbit ethernet. Any CAT 5E+ cables will suffice.

userXaaGss9B8v
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Notice, the Counselor didn't answer Rick's question

Tmac1tm2
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I think this is incorrect. I have a switch with 1Gb speed and a few devices show they are connected at 1 Gb. However my UN75MU8000F does not connect at 1Gb; it connects at 100mb. To test your theory I purchased a CAT 7 STP ethernet cable, and guess what..still 100mb. Please verify and correct your post as needed.

rickatk
Halo
Options
HD and UHD TVs

@Tmac1tm2 wrote:

I think this is incorrect. I have a switch with 1Gb speed and a few devices show they are connected at 1 Gb. However my UN75MU8000F does not connect at 1Gb; it connects at 100mb. To test your theory I purchased a CAT 7 STP ethernet cable, and guess what..still 100mb. Please verify and correct your post as needed.

@Tmac1tm2  Who are you directing your post to?

0 Likes