JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Apple TV won't detect

(Topic created: 10-05-2019 12:11 PM)
snolsen
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have an NU8000 65" and an AppleTV. Until recenlty, no probems at all. The I sarted to notice that I could not turn on the AppleTV usung my smart remote. The "Power" button on the screen showed it being "Pressed". The Apple TV would not turn on.

I have the following equipment and software versions,

Apple TV  -  Model A1842  -  tvOS 13.0

Samsung TV  -  NU8000  -  Version 1270

I have done a complete rest of my AppleTV, moved my Apple TV to different HDMI port to no avail.  Any ideas? Did Apple update my firmware recently?

TIA

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
FarmerBob
Halo
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

UPDATE:

After resigning myself to the fact I'll just have to live with this after the first round of resets, a while later I thought I'd give it one try of something. I started with Pulling the Power Cable and Pressing the Power Button and holding it for 60 seconds. I'm not sure what kind of reset that is called by TS, but they had me do it 3 months after I got the TV and lost the use of the Samsung OS keyboard after a FW update, could use the Android App as a keyboard though. Fired the TV back up and not only did it "Discover" the ATV and has since, BUT, I got the OS keyboard back!!! !! I feel like I have new TV. Yup, dreamin' again . . .

View solution in context

0 Likes
27 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

It's likely that the Apple TV did an update. Unfortunately, it is hard to keep compatibility between 3rd party devices. Have you tried setting up the Smart remote again? 

0 Likes
snolsen
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I repaired my remote to the TV. I don't know why you suggested that since I had no problem controlling the TV. Also, Apple is not just some 3rd party outfit.

0 Likes
FarmerBob
Halo
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I third party that! Isn't Apple seriously larger than Samsung?!

Exactly! "It's never the forum manufacturers device that's the problem!" "Always the 3rd Party device."

My 2016 KS8000 saw the ATV4K the instant I plugged it in and every time it's been dropped or something else has be "redetected" and I have had to resync everything. Then out of nowhere after a long time of spurious support, an update appeared. It was v1241.x, no one really knows what it does since Samsung only releases regurgitated boilerplate unhelpful drivel. It's said by Fanbois to improve PQ and I know it added the new Netflix and since the Disney+ app appeared. Too bad they left the HBOGO app, but couldn't put HBONOW back on the J520! BUT now my KS8000 can no longer detect my AppleTV 4K. I have reset it anyway you can. AND I have found that even with a Service Menu Factory Reset, it never completely reset the TV. There are simple settings that I made still in there every time. Even though this type of device has been around, this TV doesn’t have a device connection category for it. It always wants to set the ATV up as a device that requires or has something to do with my area code and the services that goes with it. "WHAT?!" Once I went through the Zip Code process and the ATV just appeared as it use to. Once I did a UserUI reset and I thought I'd trick it, I have no idea what I did, but there is only so much you can do anyway. And that time it saw the ATV4K. Last night I resigned myself to the fact and kinda wanted to "refresh" the TV since the new FW, so I did a Service Menu Reset. Well when I fired the TV back up there wasn't much to redo. Relatively nothing had been reset and no ATV4K . . .

So what's the deal Samsung? At one time Samsung had a serious problem with the Amazon Fire Stick that never got dealt with. This seems familiar.

So the only thing that has changed is the FW update on the Samsung TV.

0 Likes
Solution
FarmerBob
Halo
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

UPDATE:

After resigning myself to the fact I'll just have to live with this after the first round of resets, a while later I thought I'd give it one try of something. I started with Pulling the Power Cable and Pressing the Power Button and holding it for 60 seconds. I'm not sure what kind of reset that is called by TS, but they had me do it 3 months after I got the TV and lost the use of the Samsung OS keyboard after a FW update, could use the Android App as a keyboard though. Fired the TV back up and not only did it "Discover" the ATV and has since, BUT, I got the OS keyboard back!!! !! I feel like I have new TV. Yup, dreamin' again . . .

0 Likes
useren7625GOuk
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

So you held down the power button after unplugging the cable? Not sure how this makes any sense.

0 Likes
FarmerBob
Halo
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

@useren7625GOuk wrote:

So you held down the power button after unplugging the cable? Not sure how this makes any sense.

Holding the power button after pulling the power plug drains any residual power from the main control board that completes the reset. 

0 Likes
FarmerBob
Halo
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

UPDATE of the above UPDATE:

Finally out of the blue changing the name of the TV4K to just "Apple TV" fixed it all.

Now I'm noticing widgets are being changed and disappearing, the ones I use. And new sevices that are coming out the some widgets are being added, some aren't. Also fuctionality of the TV is nothing like it was late September. HDMI-CEC no longer works, the New Samsung SmartThings and Amazon Android widget will no longer see the TV. So it is dropping out of my Home Automation and is becoming a Null Monitor. Everytime I run an Alexa routine when it comes to the TV part she says: "THE TV NO LONGER SUPPORTS THAT". Well it did yesterday!

Read an article about the 2023 µLED TVs and that the TVs out now and until they release the µLEDs are just gonna be "simple get them by" and the reviewers recommendation was to wait until 2023 to buy Samsung. Well it looks like they actually and physically taking fucntionality away from the older sets too. I was promised that my 2016, "The Flagship TV" of the CES 2016 Announcement of the Samsung IoT of the future would be included in future changes. It was until last September, even after I did the update with the SmartThings App, that developers are screaming that Samsung has trashed, ST saw the TV and allowed it to be used within my HA ecosystem. Not anymore . . . . Now the app won't even run on my new Android device running OS10, soon to be 11.

0 Likes
userTQUx2gviy8
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have the same problem. Agree with snolsen, a 4K Apple TV isn't a random piece of 3rd party gear. Please raise to have Samsung update their software to support this massively popular device.

rickatk
Halo
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I found that the last Apple TV app update required me to do a full TV firmware update using USB. This resulted in a factory reset of the TV. A pain, but everything started working again.

Perhaps a similar thing has occurred with Apple TV (hardware) and Samsung TVs.

0 Likes