Original topic:

Clarifications on operating modes of the HW-Q70T

(Topic created: 07-27-2021 03:45 PM)
user6tW36f0ldC
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater
Hello,
I have a hard time understanding some basic functionality and would like to ask for some clarifications from you. To make it simpler for me, I'm asking on particular examples.
First of all, I'll describe my equipment and hookup.
TV:  Samsung 65KU7000
Soundbar: Samsung HW-Q70T (including subwoofer)
Surround speakers: Samsung SWA-9000SQ.
The soundbar is paired with the subwoofer and the surround speakers, the blue led are shining on the sub and on the central unit of the surround system, to which the rear speakers are connected with wires.
The original Samsung HDMI cable which came with the soundbar is connected
  -at one end to the soundbar's HDMI-ARC input
  -and the other end to the TV's "HDMI IN 3 ARC"

Let's assume that we supply a simple stereo stream to the soundbar.
1.a. I assume that setting the VIRTUAL OFF (with the Sound Control button on the soundbar remote control + UP/DOWN) on the soundbar, while the mode of the soundbar is selected as STANDARD, will preserve the soundtrack exactly as is, without any added effect right?
1.b. In this case (VIRTUAL OFF), but if set the mode to SURROUND (with the Sound Mode button on the remote) what will actually do the soundbar? It will create a virtual surround effect, even if the VIRTUAL is set to OFF?
1.c. In this case (VIRTUAL OFF), but if set the mode to ADAPTIVE SOUND, what will actually do the soundbar? It will create an adaptive kind of behavior, even if the VIRTUAL is set to OFF?

Let's assume now that we supply a Dolby surround 5.1 stream to the soundbar.
2.a. I assume that setting the VIRTUAL OFF on the soundbar, while the mode of the soundbar is selected as STANDARD, will preserve the soundtrack exactly as is, without any added effect right? So we'll get a 5.1 sound on the soundbar+sub+surrpund speakers, which reflect exactly how the stream was, without any added effect, right?
2.b. Keeping VIRTUAL OFF but setting the mode to SURROUND, what will actually do the soundbar? It will create a virtual surround effect, even if the VIRTUAL is set to OFF? Will the be on the top of the already surround stream (remember, we said we'll be supplying a Dolby 5.1 stream). Will the be on the top of the already surround stream (remember, we said we'll be supplying a Dolby 5.1 stream).
2.c. Still keeping VIRTUAL OFF, but if set the mode to ADAPTIVE SOUND, what will actually do the soundbar? It will create an adaptive kind of behavior, even if the VIRTUAL is set to OFF?  Will the be on the top of the already surround stream (remember, we said we'll be supplying a Dolby 5.1 stream).

Same questions as 1.a, 1.b, 1.c, 2.a, 2.b, 2/c but with VIRTUAL ON

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

Good afternoon. The "Virtual" function on any sound bar uses a coded algorithm to modulate the audio signal to 'trick' the ear to hear multi-directional audio where surround speakers are not available. Since you are using a rear speaker kit, the Virtual function will have little to no effect on what you are hearing from your system.

View solution in context

0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater
What are the differences in sound when you have virtual on and virtual off?
user6tW36f0ldC
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Hello,

Not sure if you are answering (or better said asking) on behalf of Samsung Support.

Nevertheless, would it be possible to get answers to my technical questions?

Thank you

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater
This is the member community app where people help other people.
If your want to get Samsung support, your have to go to the support website.
What I asked was if the sound that you hear is different when the virtual surround is on compares to when it is off?
0 Likes
user6tW36f0ldC
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

This is strange,

I asked in the past (e.g. 12/6/2020, 12/20/2020, etc.) exactly in the same forum (Samsung Community / Get Help /  Home Theater) and got official answers from Samsung rep's.

This is what I'm expecting now also.

As for what you are asking' it is unclear to me what's the difference, hence I'm trying to understand what the soundbar was designed to do.

IMHO, such information should have been present in the manual or at least in the web site, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Again, Samsung rep, please answer.

Thank you

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

Good afternoon. The "Virtual" function on any sound bar uses a coded algorithm to modulate the audio signal to 'trick' the ear to hear multi-directional audio where surround speakers are not available. Since you are using a rear speaker kit, the Virtual function will have little to no effect on what you are hearing from your system.

0 Likes
user6tW36f0ldC
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Thank you very much!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

You are most welcome.