If you're not aware of it, updating your family hub refrigerator strips many useful features from the device and installs Amazon Alexa in exchange.
I think it's time that someone passed a law that would prevent these tech behemoths from depriving their users of features that they have already paid for.
Taking away features from existing products that we've bought and paid for is theft.
I paid for those features. You took them from me without remuneration. Theft.
Is there another way to look at it?
As stated, part of the reason for purchasing such an expensive appliance was the Family Hub feature and what was provided. Samsung has stripped that away with no recourse for the consumer.
Not to mention the complete lack of transparency in the release notes. After reading the notes from end to end, I decided I was ok losing most of the features I was losing. I wasn't happy about it, but I was ok moving forward because the main pieces I tend to use weren't being touched according to the notes. Only even that was wrong. Yes, they kept the Meal Planner, but it now forces you to register for Whisk, and now you cant actually plan your own meals, you have to select Whisk meals to add to your plan.
This basically feels like forced adoption of Samsung properties and partnerships. Even the Google Nest integration forces you to tie it to SmartThings for access to the features. I'm severely disappointed with this expensive appliance and hope someone roots it and shares the steps soon.
Now there is a great idea, rooting and installing a custom ROM would certainly give a better result, I have done this with all our Samsung phones and am very happy with them.
First, I'll be disparaging Samsung every chance I get. If you're thinking about it. Do not by this fridge. Even if you like it today they don't give a **bleep** what you like and it could be taken from you any time. The way I see it they damaged my property with this update since literally half the functions I used were changed/removed/broken
It was such a tragic mistake I made by updating without checking the web first. I wish it wasn't hyperbole but the Family hub is useless to me now. Main functionality we used are gone. In my head it was near perfect before, and now it's a disaster. All they needed to do was add the youtube video ability and leave the rest alone.
1. They removed multiple weather widgets on the home screen. Yes we had 4 showing weather where my extended family lives. It was nice at a glance to see what weather was like when talking to people. Now only one can be added.
2. Sync with Outlook broken. We had a central calendar account that we all had sync'd to our phones AND computers so we could add things anywhere it would show up on the fridge.
3. Website icons on the home screen switched from favicons to the stupid little boxes that don't show anything useful. Clutters up the homepage. It was FINE before.
4. Can't remove the smart recipes page. I guess since it doesn't auto-switch to it means I can possibly forget it is there but why remove basic functionality like removing a page you don't want. Having it there is not going to make me use your crappy app solution.
5. Alexa is crappy and slow
6. Can't remove the clock at the top.
7. Memos were fine before. We had an area where we could see 3-4 easily and add and remove them. Terrible now.
If Samsung is listening. Give me back my old software or this will be the last Samsung device I ever buy. Such a terrible experience this is.
Bravo , well said, like you I am very unhappy, but thankfully have not upgraded at this time so still have the functionality I purchased with the fridge. Samsung needs to fix this, who gives a **bleep** about Alexa, I dont use it..
I love the responses from Samsung advertising the updates but not what they have taken from us. I expect a premium experience as I bought the premium version of their fridge. Maybe refund me the difference of $2k I could have bought the same fridge without the Family hub screen...