Original topic:

Samsung rf4287hars ice maker not ejecting ice and at 15-20 deg F

(Topic created: 7 hours ago)
rf4287hars
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Copying/pasting my posts from a different forum to try to get help here. 

The ice maker just decided to not work one day. No signs of anything going wrong. I replace the filter every time the light indicator tells me to.

Thought maybe it's the ice making unit, so I purchased a new one, but still having issues with ejecting ice.

Here's what I've done or observed...likely missing something or another...

Replaced ice maker with new OEM unit

Water fills tray

Water freezes

Ice stays in tray

Child lock is not enabled

Water pressure more than adequate when dispensing water...water inlet line is not kinked or other to prevent proper functioning

Filter recently changed

Pressed test button...sometimes hear the jingle tones, sometimes not

Put the bucket back (fully) and wait six+ minutes...check again and nothing in the bucket.

No signs of clogs or ice build-up

Power cord to fridge unplugged to replace the ice maker, reset panel blinking codes by depressing correct panel buttons

Freezer set to -4 deg F

Fridge set to 37 deg F

Door switch is fine

I don't have an ice maker power switch that I'm aware of

Water inlet tube and related parts appear to be okay

I have NOT used anything to heat the unit/space to defrost it

Condenser area cleaned out

Not sure what else to try. Any help would be appreciated

----Post 2 update----

This issue (or similar) seems to be common with Samsung fridges. I contacted two local reputable repair companies...they won't work on them. That says something. Anyway, if what I've done helps anyone else down the road, bonus. The temp in the ice maker bucket is at 20 deg F.

Other folks have benefited from defrosting their unit, which may be in the cards for me, as well. I'm going to look better behind the auger motor space, too, if possible. The ice maker space is the only space that seems to have any temp-control issues.

----Post 3 update---

I continue trying to narrow this down but could use some advice, still.

I can't get my ice maker box to less than 20 deg F. The ice maker is filling with water and freezing the ice, but the ice remains in the mold. I know this by taking out the ice maker to feel the ice and dump it. I don't hear anything trying/failing to get the ice out. No grinding noises. Occasionally, I'll hear the whirring sound, "whir," pause, "whir," pause, "whir," and so on, but no ice gets ejected into the box.

Auger motor space is clean without ice build-up. I disconnected it and slid it out completely to visually inspect. The two holes in the empty space behind the auger motor assembly are free from build-up and clean.

Fridge temp at 34-36 deg F.

Freezer at 0 to -6 deg F.

I replaced the evaporator fan motor after seeing some build-up of ice behind the evaporator fan/motor assembly panel. Fan works/rotates fine. Ice build-up was mainly on the top (center and right side) of the evaporator, extending to the wiring/copper components. No ice build-up to the left connectors for the fan/light, but I replaced the fan motor anyway, since it was an inexpensive shot.

As a reminder, I replaced the ice maker unit with a new one earlier on in the process.

After watching eight gazillion YT videos about it, I'm at a loss. The only other thing people have done I haven't (other than get rid of the fridge) is to replace the main control board.

Do any of you think that would be a good next step. Obviously, I can call a repair person, but if it could be the board, I can a new one for a decent price (less than $100 usd).

In addition, my Ice Off icon/light is illuminated and won't turn off. I noticed today that the ice maker box got down to about 12 deg F, but then later was back up to 20 deg F within a few hours. I don't open/close the fridge frequently, and there's nobody else in the house. I've tried to get it turned off by depressing the Ice Lock for three seconds and then repeating to unlock the ice. I'm wondering if the ice maker is disabled because the temp is too low??

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

0 Replies