JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Possible bad One Connect Mini - colors look bad sometimes

(Topic created: 01-12-2021 12:07 PM)
Alumriel
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

I have a 65" Samsung TV, model UN65JS850DFXZA, which I purchased from Costco back in 2015. Over the past year or so, I have had an increasingly frequent color problem where, when I turn the TV on sometimes, the colors are overly vibrant, the blacks are too black and the whites are too white, all resulting in a substantial loss in color/clarity.

I've been able to solve the problem temporarily by disconnecting the One Connect Mini and re-connecting it. I wonder if this box is going bad, or maybe just the cable itself?

Anyone seen this before?

8 Replies
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
LED and OLED TVs
ever had it calibrated before? getting that done irons out that type of issue. you can DIY it about anyway, so you don't have to pay all that money which is still way less then a new tv, a simple internet search for your TV calibration how too's would be able to instruct you on getting into the hidden menus for adjustments and tell you the recommended settings for you to adjust to so that it's as close to the pro computer calibration way as possible... started doing that 20 years ago when I first learned about it... very noticeable and sometimes drastically different and improved viewing. check it out, only takes a few mins.
0 Likes
Alumriel
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

@SelfProclaimedBest 
I think perhaps you misunderstand the problem.
When this problem isn't occuring, the picture looks fine.
When the problem occurs, I disconnect and reconnect the One Connect Mini and the picture goes back to normal.

FWIW, I did adjust the picture settings myself when I first got the TV.

SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
LED and OLED TVs
nope... your picture can be fine, look fine and just act up from time to time, and be fixed by the connect/disconnect or just correct itself when that's done regardless of it being the actual cause. your description of sudden changes in color vibrancy and rich deep blacks or whiteout whites with a loss of viewing clarity is exactly what a calibration issues causes and how to fix that from happening so it doesn't scape goat the one mini as the cause. Once properly calibrated either years after using or from day one there is a very tangible notice in the viewing picture and a greatly improved length of TV life expectancy for actual viewed hours. that issue can be mistaken for a TV going bad or device, cables etc. just a suggestion to troubleshoot that's free before you start replacing stuff if you don't want to or have too. you mentioned you did adjust settings yourself day one! great! from the maintenance/testing set up via codes and such to open and view/change the individual, ungrouped, display settings for like temperature, gamma, hues, tones, shades, saturation etc...? if yes, have you checked them to see if something has slipped up maybe? if not take a look if you want or if not changed from that menu try that and see if it persists or stops
0 Likes
Alumriel
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Maybe it's my fault for not explaining the problem well enough.

Imagine the exact same static image source, such as a UI view of multiple apps, like the "home" screen for a game console, etc...

When things work as expected, the picture looks wonderful.

When there is a problem, the colors look over-saturated, the blacks are too dark, the whites are too bright and image details are lost.
Unplugging the One Connect Mini and reconnecting it fixes the problem.

For years, there was no problem.

I don't understand how calibration could have anything to do with this. The values have not changed since I set them, and the values are exactly the same whether I have the problem or not.
These are the settings I used:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8500/settings

SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options