Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

SOLVED
Nebula

Re: Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

Hello @userFWTRrEb1xB and @userkDu60x0Pnj,

Magician needs to contact the Samsung server to authenticate the drive. Once the drive is authenticated, you can use Magician without the internet connection. 

Magician is not required to use the SSDs.

From the installer:

What information is collected and why?
In order to provide Samsung Magician to you, to authenticate you and your device(s), to determine and provide the relevant versions of firmware and Samsung Magician, to improve our storage device software, and to provide other services that you requested related to your use of Samsung Magician, we need to collect information on you and the device. We collect the IP Address, the Samsung Magician version and language used, information about the storage device you use in connection with Samsung Magician (drive type and model, serial number, device ID, S.M.A.R.T. data, capacity, driver information, firmware version), and information about the PC or device used to access Samsung Magician (number of drivers installed, mainboard, CPU, memory size, storage controllers, operating system).

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

[ Edited ]

@SamsungDave wrote:

Hello @userFWTRrEb1xB and @userkDu60x0Pnj,

Magician needs to contact the Samsung server to authenticate the drive. Once the drive is authenticated, you can use Magician without the internet connection. 

Magician is not required to use the SSDs.

Yes, but Magician is required to use rapid mode.

@SamsungDave wrote:

From the installer:

What information is collected and why?
In order to provide Samsung Magician to you, to authenticate you and your device(s), to determine and provide the relevant versions of firmware and Samsung Magician, to improve our storage device software, and to provide other services that you requested related to your use of Samsung Magician, we need to collect information on you and the device. 

None of this information gathering was required with previous verisons of Magician which worked just fine. For example, Magician 4.9.6 reports my drive as genuine and allows all features of the software to be used, including Rapid mode, correct firmware version updates, etc.

Nebula

[ Edited ]

Hello @userkDu60x0Pnj,

RAPID mode is nice to show good benchmarks, but unless you are doing some high end video editing or working with huge databases, or anything with high queue depth requirements, there is no performance difference.

It still had to connect to the server to get FW updates. Though, it doesn't report new FW anymore. It only does up to a certain version. Anything newer has to be done through the new Magician or via FW ISO. It also sent the same usage statistics that I posted from the installer. The Magician 4 versions had the same statements regarding data collection. It's just that now that it authenticates the unit is legit by checking the serial number against Samsung's server before allowing the full features of the program. Also, by doing so, it caters the feature to that specific drive. So you will see features for the 840 EVO that are not needed or seen by people with 850 EVOs.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

@SamsungDave wrote:

Hello @userkDu60x0Pnj,

RAPID mode is nice to show good benchmarks, but unless you are doing some high end video editing or working with huge databases, or anything with high queue depth requirements, there is no performance difference.

Yeah, well I do have workloads that benefit from rapid mode. Rapid mode is why I bought these drives. At the end of the day, it's clear Samsung is not interested in reverting back to not requiring a call home to South Korea, so 4.9.6 will continue to work for me until it's time to replace the drive with another brand that does not have an online requirement.

Nebula

[ Edited ]

@userkDu60x0Pnj,

Except that version of the software does "call home". Also, the new version does not always have to be online. Just for the initial authentication of the drive.

You do not have to turn off your firewall. Just add the following to your whitelist:

*.samsungsemi.com

Constellation

@SamsungDave wrote:

@userkDu60x0Pnj,

Except that version of the software does "call home". Also, the new version does not always have to be online. Just for the initial authentication of the drive.

You do not have to turn off your firewall. Just add the following to your whitelist:

*.samsungsemi.com

It is not calling home for drive authenticity checks. It is reporting the drive as genuine without this check, which is what is allowing me to enable rapid mode.

I never suggested having to turn off the firewall. Along with the other person, we restrict connectivity to destinations outside of the US. Adding an exception to allow data to be transmitted outside what we have specifically approved and control is kind of the whole point here. We're not going to allow a payload, especially one containing system information, to leave our network bound for foreign destinations. 

Constellation

[ Edited ]

And I guess the important point here is: Old versions work in my environment and new versions don't.

Nebula

@userkDu60x0Pnj,

How do you think the old version authenticated the drive?

Constellation

@SamsungDave wrote:

@userkDu60x0Pnj,

How do you think the old version authenticated the drive?

Certainly not by calling home to  South Korea. Beyond that, it doesn't matter to me. 

Nebula

@userkDu60x0Pnj,

Yes it did. Everything related to SSDs is located in South Korea. So when it athenticates the drive, it pings our South Korean server. Magician didn't have a database of serial numbers built in it would check.