JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Building New Rig, waiting on parts to come & Complete n00b with ssd / nvme storage.

(Topic created: 04-02-2021 07:47 PM)
SGTDRE
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello all,  I'm new here at Samsung,

I have been reading, "a lot" and trying to find the best videos that get into the best details and info on SSD / nvme m.2  / QVL  / QLC  / SLC, I think I'm starting to get info overload? And as I looked at some of the storage solutions that were suggested to be the better ones, I found myself trying to figure out what is the difference between the items listed below.  I see different part numbers but other than that they look to be the same with the a couple with different transfer speeds. 

MoBo: Asus  (still trying to decide on model) but it will be LGA2066 - X299 chipset - i9 10980xe

I would greatly appreciate a bit if insight on what to look for  / how to understand the differences between the different drives, I understand there is more out there than the ones listed below, but these three have me a little confused, not to mention what else is out there. I am also looking to get this drive maybe Two(2) if funds allow.  SAMSUNG 870 QVO Series 2.5" 8TB SATA III Samsung 4-bit MLC V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-77Q8T0B/AM

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E2T0B/AM)

SAMSUNG 870 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E2T0B/AM)

SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" SSD 2TB (MZ-77Q2T0B

Thanks much.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

The 980 Pro is a PCIe 4 though it works fine on PCIe 3,  performs a tad better than the 970 on PCIe 3 due to its' new controller and memory.

THe 980 was actually less expensive than the 970 when it first came out though the chip shortage is driving prices up.

Take care to find out how many M.2 sockets and PCIe x16 slots the boards have.

All my drives are set up as GPT.  I do NOT use drive encryption as I will be changing motherboards.

View solution in context

4 Replies
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

With the X299 and 10980 you should be looking at going all NVME and leave the Sata drives behind.  NVME SSD's are 5-7 times faster than the Sata and an excellent fit for your new machine.

I run an Asus Rampage VI Apex with 8 1&2 TB Samsung NVME drives on board thanks to the Asus HyperX16 expansion card. 4 of the drives each has a different version of OS and the other 4 hold all the gaming and data.  I started with 960 Pro's and added 970 Pro's then a 980 Pro as they became available.

The Apex holds 4 NVME and the Hyper the other 4.  They will definitely spoil you.

Install a NVME on the motherboard for your OS then add the others to the Hyper card as needed.  With the right motherboard with 3 PCIe x16 slots you can even run 2 Hyper cards.

You'll be glad you did.

Oh!  My wife's gamer is 100% NVME also.

SGTDRE
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thanks for the reply and info,

Right now I'm running 12 spinners, in my current Rig, I have a lot of HD videos :)), and a fair amount of Games also.

I was looking at a few Asus MoBo's,  "ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore  & or  ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega", reason being is I can get water cooling from bitspower for the MoBo I have the CPU block, and the SLI 20 series GPU's with water blocks preinstalled.

I was also looking at these - Asus Prime X299- A II / ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe II / ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II and yes I was / am looking at how much storage I can put on the MoBo with the NVME drives / ssd drives, but as I said info over load, I do appreciate the info and will seriously look in to the items you mentioned.

As to the partition type and or if there is one with these types storage option, unlike with spinners, GPT / MBR.  The more I look at the nvme drives, the more I like the idea of a more secure storage solution as well as os & gaming, and looking for the MoBo that gives the most options to do just that and reduce the spinners to zero or just 1 or 2 if  need be.

The 970 Pro's and 980's are they  "QVL / QLC / SLC" and is one better or works better with transfer speeds, I will do a bit more search also.

0 Likes
Solution
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

The 980 Pro is a PCIe 4 though it works fine on PCIe 3,  performs a tad better than the 970 on PCIe 3 due to its' new controller and memory.

THe 980 was actually less expensive than the 970 when it first came out though the chip shortage is driving prices up.

Take care to find out how many M.2 sockets and PCIe x16 slots the boards have.

All my drives are set up as GPT.  I do NOT use drive encryption as I will be changing motherboards.

SGTDRE
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

my posted reply is just now showing up

0 Likes