JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can I get into TV settings without a remote control?

(Topic created: 10-29-2023 07:21 AM)
RHoller
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I was given a 55" Samsung television (UN55H6203AF) by my brother when he upgraded to a larger one.  However, he had long-since lost the original remote control, and he'd simply been using the remote control from his Comcast service, so the missing original remote control wasn't a big deal for him.

However, it is a problem for me, at least in getting the TV setup initially. It works just fine with my cable service (also Comcast) as far as being able to watch TV, change channels, adjust volume, etc.  However, without the original remote control, I can't get into the internal settings for the TV itself in order to make adjustments. Primarily, since I use a 3rd Party home theatre speaker system, I can't get into the audio settings to turn off the TV's internal speakers.

Once I get those (and other) settings adjusted and fine-tuned, I can probably get along just fine without the original remote control, just like my brother did.

But in the meantime, and I SOL, or faced with needing to purchase a replacement Samsung remote control *just* for the initial setup?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Monitors and Memory
Is your TV on your WiFi? Can you run an ethernet cable to it if not? Samsung SmartThings is very useful app, including having full remote capability. I have 2 Q80A's side-by-side so the app is far more useful than either of the actual remotes.

View solution in context

0 Likes
6 Replies
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Monitors and Memory
Just buy a remote, Google the TV model replacement remote,they are usually like $20
RHoller
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Wow, I had no idea they were that cheap. Thanks!!

Solution
Monitors and Memory
Is your TV on your WiFi? Can you run an ethernet cable to it if not? Samsung SmartThings is very useful app, including having full remote capability. I have 2 Q80A's side-by-side so the app is far more useful than either of the actual remotes.
0 Likes
RHoller
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I've just hooked it up, so it's not on WiFi... yet.  But that is *definitely* something that I'll be looking onto right away, thanks!

Monitors and Memory
The caveat is that the app is far more useful when the internet is up and running. I live in a fairly rural area where the internet can drop out randomly for a variety of reasons. Also, occasionally one or the other of the TVs randomly stops acknowledging its wifi connection and I'm forced to pull the power cord for a few seconds to give it a true reboot. There are a few reasons why it might not be a bad idea to have a $20 replacement physical remote around.
0 Likes
RHoller
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Understood, and thanks for the follow-up.  I've already got a replacement remote ordered from Amazon (... for less than $10! I had *NO* idea they were that cheap, or I wouldn't have even bothered asking here).

But hooking the TV up to WiFi (or a direct hard-wired connection) is definitely on my ToDo list!