JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Cannot update 980 Pro 1TB Firmware Magician

(Topic created: 02-24-2023 10:21 PM)
TheRaidB0ss
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

This is on a Dell Precision 7560 setup as a data drive. System is running the latest Windows 11 Pro, and Samsung Magician software 7.2.1. Drive is running the 3B2QGXA7 firmware. Magician fails every time to the 5B2QGXA7. Nothing in windows protection is remarking that something is blocked. I see these in the log file

End set complete update
25-02-2023 00:52:37 ERROR SILCommands NVMeInboxFwUpdate DownloadFW 54 DownloadFW failed, err: 6
25-02-2023 00:52:37 ERROR SILN00 SIL Dev FW UpdateInbox Execute 48 NVMe command exception, code: -1, err: 1, system err: 1
25-02-2023 00:52:37 ERROR BMBFWU BMBFWU UpdateFirmware 60 FW Download Failed : 2
25-02-2023 00:52:37 ERROR FWUM FW UpdateManager Download Firmware 304 Failed to update the firmware
25-02-2023 00:52:37 INFO BVM Version Manager SendT3 687 Begin send result data to server
25-02-2023 00:52:37 ERROR BCOM Communicator Request And Response 256 Decryption error 4
25-02-2023 00:52:37 INFO BVM VersionManager SendT3 691 End send result data to server

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
TheRaidB0ss
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Set Windows to boot to safe mode. Turned BIOS to AHCI. Booted into safe mode, and let it do it's thing. Removed the safe mode operation, and rebooted into normal windows. Installed the Samsung NVME drivers. Rebooted. Magician has now applied the firmware update.

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 Replies
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Does that machine actually have direct Internet access and is not set up as a Raid array?

You may find that  not all of the M2 slots are Magician friendly due to the hardware/electronic design of the laptop and would require the SSD's be swapped around to the friendly slot(s) for firmware updates.  

ymmv

0 Likes
TheRaidB0ss
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

They are not setup in RAID, but BIOS is set for RAID vs ACHI. Direct internet access indeed. I will try swapping them around, since I have 3 slots.

I tried to load the ISO to USB, but it would just boot to black screen 

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

ACHI is preferred for drive access for updates.

0 Likes
rltang
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

My laptop is Dell Precision 7770. I had the same problem. I cannot update the firmware of 980 Pro drive 2T running the 3B2QGXA7 firmware. I also tried to load the ISO to USB, but it would just boot to black screen too. What happened? I cannot believe Samsung is so bad. I bought Samsung's SSD for its high quality to avoid trouble. However, it became a big trouble.   

0 Likes
Solution
TheRaidB0ss
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Set Windows to boot to safe mode. Turned BIOS to AHCI. Booted into safe mode, and let it do it's thing. Removed the safe mode operation, and rebooted into normal windows. Installed the Samsung NVME drivers. Rebooted. Magician has now applied the firmware update.

0 Likes