Original topic:

Samsung 870 low performance help with overprovisioning NEEDED

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
Joker42131
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello,

i recently measured only 70MB/s write and like only 21000 Random Write. I want to turn on full optimization, but i forgot create overprovisioning as soon as i installed OS. I have 2 parititions. 1 - 160 GB for system and like 1.6GB for games. What would happen if i turn this on - i read notice about data loss in pop out window! Is it is risky to turn on now?

I noticed slower loading in games, but write shouldn't affect that. Read is 530MB/s and 61000 Random Read. That is most strange!

Oh i turned overprovisioning manually, and then tried to switch to full performance mode but it didn't turn on after restart! Also if i try to switch to standard it shows it would disable over provisioning!

Firmware and SW update both show last version!!!

2024-08-27 12_56_48-Samsung Magician.png2024-08-27 12_58_01-Samsung Magician.png2024-08-27 12_58_18-Samsung Magician.png

Thanks for help!

BTW your ToS is JOKe even things that show as optional if they are unchecked it uncheck agree with TOS and if i agree with TOs it checks all....................................

0 Likes
2 Replies
ddaniel51
Red Giant
Options
Monitors and Memory

Tell us about your computer system laptop? PC? OS?   Is it capable of driving a SSD to full write performance?

Why is your primary partition so small?  An OS needs room to grow over time.

Personally I would set the primary to 500GB , provision 10%, then set full performance.

This gives the OS room for temp files it creates and misc addons.

Crowd the unused space too much and the OS complains and slows down.

0 Likes
Joker42131
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I don't know if i still care, doesn't seem it affects loading times, that it is more new GPU, write shouldn't affect loading times anyways i thought perhaps something else could be wrong with SSD!

I am on PC i5 9600KF, 3200mhz 16GB ram, RTX4060... Yes last month test showed both 500/500 read/write. So i don't know what happened. I am on Windows 11 last build whatever it is. Seems it doesn't affect gaming i had long loading times ,even read showed OK i still wondered if there could not be something wrong with it since measure so long on write test. Diagnostic showed also everything as good and smart health is good!

I have 50GB free on OS disc and it never gets filled temp still take low space and i clean them a after awhile! But if you think it is problem i could repartition size just hope it will work in system, because i am lazy to boot safety OS where EaseUS paritioning tool is for free. And don't want to do this much either it is risky something can go wrong ever, if i don't have to.

I don't know how to set over provisioning 10%, it literally says max is 2%!

0 Likes