JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung 990 Pro 2TB problem

(Topic created: 12-30-2022 05:39 AM)
wolfmandim
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

The disk was bought in order to use it as system disk. During installation of Windows 11 it did NOT start the computer at all. Checked the BIOS and noticed that the disk is listed in Storage Configuration, but NOT listed in Boot priorities. Used a 970 SSD as system disk and booted with no problems. I saw that the 990 Pro has been initiated and given a drive letter. But it was identified as Local Disk, NOT by its name. I used two different motherboards to verify the problem. Also it does NOT appear either in Samsung Magician or Data Migration software. I need the 990 as a system disk. Is there anything I can do to solve the situation?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
wolfmandim
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Problem solved!

Had to select New as the option during windows 11 setup. It made the necessary partitions and the OS worked like a charm...

What a relief!

View solution in context

0 Likes
14 Replies
AV_J
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Having the same issue. MB is Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 AX. System can see it's connected to M2A_CPU slot, but is not recognised as a bootable drive and Windows installation will not see it to install Windows!?

Help!! 

0 Likes
wolfmandim
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Exactly the same issue.Mind you, I tried two different motherboards with same problem each time.Bearing in mind that this is a new model SSD, someone with Samsung must look into the subject and provide us with detailed instructions how to resolve it!

0 Likes
AV_J
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

OK... Got it working! Needed to disconnect all my other data drives (possibly could have skipped this step) & disabled the RAID/VMD controller. When I booted back into BIOS it appeared under the NVME section. Was then able to load Windows onto it.

I'll get back to you whether it all still works when I reactivate the RAID controller as I have a few RAID arrays set up. 

0 Likes
wolfmandim
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I will try to remove my current system disk (a 970) and leave only the 990 Pro and try a clean installation of windows 11. If unsuccessful, I hope system goes back to being like now (I am sick and tired of continuous setups). Keep my fingers crossed...

Ok. I did as stated above. Removed 970 left only 990. I was able to upload Windows 11 but computer wouldn't boot and went back to original page of the setup. Checked Bios settings again, the 990 is nowhere to be seen in Boot Priorities. I gave up and reinstalled 970 as system disk.

I do not understand what's going on here... Feels like betting my money on a crippled horse!

I am fed up!!!

0 Likes
AV_J
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I noticed you also posted on the Asrock forums, so I am going to assume you have the Asrock z790 Taichi.

In BIOS settings, go to Advanced and then Storage Configurations and then VMD Configuration.

To install Windows, I had to DISABLE the VMD Controller. It then found the 990 Pro and Windows was able to install & boot. If you don't have RAID arrays, leaving the VMD Controller as DISABLED should sort out your issues. As I have existing RAID arrays though, I needed to reactivate this setting after I got Windows to install, but that just started causing problems again.

I had to mess around with the settings until I finally got it working, so in case you also have RAID arrays you want to use, I will try to translate from Gigabyte BIOS to Asrock BIOS and let's hope it will work for you too.

What worked for me... 

VMD Controller - ENABLED

VMD Global Mapping - DISABLED

(Here is where our systems start to differ as I have 2 x the option below - I think one is for M.2 Ports & the other for SATA Ports, but I am just guessing as the documentation sucks b@lls, as it does with most BIOS manuals)

Map this Root Port Under VMD - Try both and re-enter BIOS and check if the 990 is recognised. I have my 1st one set to DISABLED and the 2nd to ENABLED.

Hopefully, after playing with these options, you will have both your 990 Pro & your RAID arrays purring away like I finally do.

I must say - what a bloody mission this turned out to be....spose that's the main problem with buying the "latest & greatest" as no one else has sorted out the bugs yet!! lol

Why they make BIOS manuals that explain the BIOS option by saying it allows you to turn that option on or off is beyond me. We need to know what that option actually does!!!!!!

Anyway, enough ranting. Good luck and let me know how you go.

0 Likes
wolfmandim
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have tried all your recommendations my friend... none of them helped. Disappointed!

I am beginning to believe that the problem lies with the SSD. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the receipt and I cannot return it for replacement. Therefore, I will have to live with an expensive SSD used as a storage container! Nothing more to add here...

0 Likes
wolfmandim
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am back again... I was told to Enable the CSM Support in Bios and magically all drives appeared in Boot Priorities. Then, I tried few times to install OS in 990 Pro but every time I ended up with a blue screen or a message to boot from another device. Also tried to migrate OS with the use of EaseUS Partition Master. No success there either (I'll get in touch with the company to find out why). The only thing I hate most at this time, is to have to setup the system in 970... In the meantime, discussion is welcome!

0 Likes
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello wolfmandim,

Can you provide the windows blue screen error code or error message your getting during the installation process?

0 Likes
wolfmandim
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

My friend... to be honest I am afraid to proceed with another effort as it always screws up my existing 970 setup and I have to start installing software all over again (very lengthy process).

At this point I will try to remind that during most attempts of installation via the bootable USB I cannot get passed the first restart of the PC (probably finds no booting source) and the process returns to the original screen of the setup.

0 Likes