Original topic:

T5 SSD Very Slow

(Topic created: 11-13-2018 04:56 AM)
userpXT2AZpC15
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I purchased a T5 portable SSD drive (500MB) awhile back from Amazon but only recently started using it.

From a MacBook Pro, I was copying files to several SSD drives, including a T1 and a WD Passport, and I noticed the T5 was several times slower than the other drives. I downloaded the BlackMagic Disk Speed Test app, and noticed I was getting read and write speeds on this drive that were right around 40 MB/s. Testing the other drives, including the internal SSD, I was getting speeds more in the 200-300 MB/s range. I reformatted the drive using JHFS+ but it made no difference.

I then took the drive to a Windows machine and reformatted it using NTFS. Using AS SSD Benchmark, I am seeing read and write speeds on the drive between 20-25 MB/s. Again, other SSD drives are showing between 200-300 MB/s.

I am thinking that maybe it's the cable. Can I use any USB-C to USB-A cable as a replacement?

I am really disgusted with this since the drive is obviously defective and it is too late to get my money back.

Bruce

0 Likes
JUMP TO SOLUTION
11 Replies
Members_oGo1Wqi
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I had the same issue and the speed increased from 40MB to 300MB after using the cable that came with the SSD. However, it never reached to 500Mb. i read that it require USB 3.1 to get that speed..i am not sure about my USB ver but will check and conclude..

However, the R/W speed for video files was 40MB to 70Mb..Anybody know, is this expected for video files or faulty?

0 Likes
userDjWAXrFBLD
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I just bought a Samsung SSD T5 today with a brand new gaming pc, and it's downloading world of tanks at 3.1MB/s, which isn't as fast as my old dinosaur Hp pc was downloading games on it's internal hard drive.  What gives?  I'm using the USB 3.0 to USB  A cord that came with the SSD T5.

0 Likes