cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U28E510 Monitor black screen when using via DisplayPort off Dell E-Port Plus docking station

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Running a Dell E7270 laptop connected to a Dell E-Port Plus docking station with DisplayPort 1 going to the Samsung monitor. HDMI 1 on the monitor is connected to a mini-cable box for Cable TV (no issues). HDMI 2 on the monitor is connected to a tower computer for extended 3rd display (no issues). DisplayPort input on the monitor goes to the docking station as noted. Have tried 3 different cables. Laptop shows the monitor in the Display Settings application, but the Samsung screen is black. I can move program windows from the laptop onto the Samsung monitor, but can't see them then. Samsung DisplayPort is set to PC in the settings. DisplayPort is set to 1.2 in the settings. If I use PIP on the Samsung monitor I can get my Dell E7270 laptop workspace viewable, but it is very, very low resolution - like 800x600. This setup worked fine when I was on Windows 7, but now on Windows 10 it is not working.
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: U28E510 Monitor black screen when using via DisplayPort off Dell E-Port Plus docking station

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did - DisplayPort 1.2.

I did find a work-around so it looks like my problem may be fixed. I bought a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and I am connected now from E-Port port 2->DP-2-HDMI Adapter->HDMI cable->Samsung HDMI 1. Wasn't getting a picture and then found the display adapter needed to be changed to 1920x1080 plus it was defaulting to 29Hz refresh.

Successful Settings.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: U28E510 Monitor black screen when using via DisplayPort off Dell E-Port Plus docking station

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's likely a limitation of the graphics processor. I would try setting a lower resolution. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks @SamsungGill - I tried that already and in fact it was working on Win 7 at 1920x1080 resolution. Upgrading to Win 10 seems to be the issue. If I use the HDMI port off the laptop it works fine (but it is not a good set up). There is no HDMI port on the docking station.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just as an update - I tried a newer Dell E-Port Plus docking station just to eliminate the possibility of bad hardware. Completely different results - worse. It gave me no recognition of either the 2nd screen (Samsung) or a 3rd screen (Dell ST2420L). Switching back to the prior docking station I a least get an image on the 3rd screen, but still black on the 2nd. The Display settings shows all 3 screens and the 2nd screen workspace is active (just completely black). Next thing to try is DisplayPort-to-HDMI cables.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you insure your monitor and dock/laptop are set to the same Display port version?  A mismatch will cause a black screen.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did - DisplayPort 1.2.

I did find a work-around so it looks like my problem may be fixed. I bought a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and I am connected now from E-Port port 2->DP-2-HDMI Adapter->HDMI cable->Samsung HDMI 1. Wasn't getting a picture and then found the display adapter needed to be changed to 1920x1080 plus it was defaulting to 29Hz refresh.

Successful Settings.PNG