cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Galaxy J3 Voice Mail notifications missing

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You have to go to the app on your homepage  that says Tracphone then hit voicemail within the Tracphone app and go through the steps then you will receive voicemail notifications! Super confusing and ridiculous. It should work by just simply turning the notification on. Hope this helps! 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Tracfone application only tells you how to set up voice mail. It does not mention voice mail notifications.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit SM-S367VL Tracfone.  This is what worked for me to get voicemail notifications when I knew I had everything turned on and my normal voicemail set up.  I got a missed call notification but no notification that I had a voicemail if they left one.  I could get my voicemail but I had to call it randomly to see if I had one.  After three calls to tracfone and then one chat over the computer I got it solved.

I had to set up visual voicemail.  The app icon was in the tracfone folder.  Now to set this up you have to have your celular data turned on,  it won't work with just an internet  connection.  So turn on your data, wait about 30 seconds and then open the visual voicemail app in the tracfone folder and respond to the question or questions to set it up.  The only way visual voicemail will work is with data turned on,  you don't have to use it though.  With data turned off your voicemail will work the normal way by calling your voicemail and entering your password to get them.  You will now get a notification that you have a voicemail and you can choose to use visual voicemail with the celular data turned on or regular voicemail with the data turned off.  I hope this helps.  I sure made me happy.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Net10 (TracFone) Samsung Galaxy Sky (I believe is considered a J3 or some form of it) running Marshmallow 6.0.1.

Google Play recognizes it as not a Samsung or TracFone but instead as a Verizon phone.

Since the "visual voice mail" (VVM) change about a month ago, it took me this long to figure out that was what was going on. I thought someone was spamming or hacking my phone, kept getting weird text messages from what I eventually learned was Verizon and no voice mail Notifications on my Android in the usual fashion (on top status bar).

Called Net10. Helpful but admit they could not find an answer. They were as confused as I was why they couldn't find an app on my phone called Bulk Mail (app) in System > Applications (settings/manager). They also said my best recourse was to contact Samsung and/or factory reset my phone, which they said should allow default apps to be updated. But I'm suspicious of the quirks already; they admitted going to Software Update in System Settings "theoretically" should accomplish the same. But since I know better and they didn't have any answers, I probably won't do that. (Also, I called them back to inform them I found on Samsung's site here, to access my *old obsolete* voice mail (as Net10's 719-651-9223 as per their instructions leads to nowhere), it says to *PRESS AND HOLD 1* and hey it worked. I got old messages as far back as March 17, 2017.

I even tried the app My Verizon, which claims I can deactivate this VVM feature, but as I don't have a cellular service account with Verizon (and the app won't let me set one up) another dead end.

I haven't solved my VVM dillema yet, I would like to deactivate this feature and get my usual Android Notifications back. I hate voice mail anyway. (You know you are getting old when you check your snail mail more often than your voice or email.) But the text notifications are annoying. It's almost the same as getting a Notification on the top bar, I guess, but not quite the same. Besides, when I finally do check my voice mail and then hang up from it, I get *yet another* text from Verizon.

Samsung tells us to contact our cell carrier. Well, the TracFone trio (with Net10 and StraightTalk) need to do something about Verizon? I don't know how they let Verizon "infect" my phone (maybe they didn't delete enough "proprietary" code; but someone should know better.

Because in the end it results in a customer inconvenienced at best and "screwed" at worst. (Net10 aready admitted they can't help; Verizon will tell me I'm not a customer; Samsung really has nothing to do with it--it just happens to be their phone model used across various networks).

I feel like I need an Android surgeon lol Smiley Wink

PS--This is why I hate retail and prefer to build my own PCs. Wish I could build my own Android phone. They are allowed to modify open source code; but then take no responsibility for it. :\

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After researching for days and trying various fixes I am still left without voicemail notifications. Initally it started by receiving VVM text messages (I had no idea what these texts were) without anroid voicemail notifications. I thought someone was trying to send me some sort of virus. Anyway I finally figured it out, hated it, but at least I knew when I had a voicemail. Then 2 weeks ago, the VVM text messages stopped. The ony way I can find out if I have a text message is to call my voicemail. 

I have a Samsung Galaxy Sky phone using Verizon Towers through Straight Talk. Went on live chat with Straight Talk and was told that all the latest Samsung CMDA devices are affected by a cell tower updated and there is nothing they can do since they only borrow Verizon's towers. During my online search, I have found that the problem is not limited to Samsung devices but it was #1 brand that seems to be affected followed by the iPhone. This is just unacceptable.  Seems that the big cell phone carriers have found a way to cause CMDA devices/carrier users to have to make a switch to a subscription plan if they want voicemail notifications. 

I hope someone finds a fix/work around real soon or I will need to ditch Samsung Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

well, at least now I know I'm not crazy

Irritated, but not crazy

I agree either samsung or straight talk need to figure this out- I like my phone I DON'T like the gobblty **bleep** that comes on my text msg. - I missed calls for months because I, like the others, thought it was spam or a virus.

Again, thanks for mmaking me aware- now can we fix it please

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am in the same situation no voice mail icon to tell there is new voice mail.

Is there a resolution or just something I have to live with or buy another phone..?

I have the Samsung Galaxy Sky SM320VL..? I just purchased the phone 2 weeks ago..

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated..

Tim In Tranquility Tennessee..

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After spending 20 minutes going through my options, application settings, notifications etc, there is not an option for the Samsung Sky phone to alert you when there is a voicemail OR a missed call. Then I called Samsung customer service and spoke to someone who spoke English but the accent was so hard to understand, took me almost a half hour going over and over and over and basically she said the phone does not have this option to show on the phone app that you have a voice mail or a missed call and I should keep dialing into my voice mail to check ? I see, so every few minutes I should dial my voicemail to see if someone called me and left a message ? She answers yes that is correct. Are you friggin kidding me ?? She also stated that I need to call my service provider which is Tracphone because they are the ones that would provide me with instructions on voice mail notifications or if they offer that service ? Really ? Ok, called Tracphone they said nope there is no way to get a notification for voice mail. I find that funny since it tells me on the text icon that I’ve received a text message. Additionally my husband has an LG also through Tracphone and what’d ya know, his phone icon has a message and voicemail waiting indicator.....so is it Tracphone or this Samsung phone ?? What a joke. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also have the Samsung Galaxy J3 "Sky" phone and was originally getting notifications, then it stopped and I started getting these text messages after I'd get a missed call & figured out it was voice mail notification through a text message and then they stopped and now I get nothing. It's been driving me crazy because I don't know each time someone leaves me a voice mail and miss out on important messages because I'm not aware of them being there. I guess it's time to change to a new phone. Oh... I'm using straighttalk service and my phone was a straight talk phone using Verizon towers. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I went back to Sprint. It isn’t a Samsung problem, it’s the Carrier