Original topic:

Samsung “One UI” updates disconnect phones from WiFi and mobile networks

(Topic created: 01-19-2024 06:29 AM)
DaveZiffer
Halo
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I posted this entire complaint back in December, and Samsung removed my entire post sometime in the past couple of weeks, so I am posting it again. This is my letter to Xfinity, my mobile service provider. I am posting again because the mobile network disconnect happened again today after yet another "OneUI" udate.

Dear Xfinity:

We recently bought three Samsung phones from Xfinity and put them on the Xfinity mobile network on 10/16/23. We've had great service and we generally like the phones, but we've had three disturbing incidents wherein Samsung's constant "One UI" phone updates have disconnected us from either our local WiFi network or from Xfinity's mobile network. My biggest complaint about our two A54 phones (see below) is that Samsung updates them disturbingly often, sometimes multiple times in a week, with major updates that sometimes cause debilitating problems. As a person who had a long career as a professional programmer, I will say that there is something seriously wrong with any software operation that constantly forces so many major updates on its customers.

We have the following phones:

• Two Samsung A54 models:
    • "David" at XXX-XXX-XXXX
    • "Diana" at XXX-XXX-XXXX
  • And one Samsung A03s model:
    • "Office" at XXX-XXX-XXXX

WiFi disconnections

On Christmas morning we woke up to find that both our A54 phones were disconnected from our home WiFi network. Our A03s phone was still connected, as were all our other WiFi devices, so this was definitely an A54-only problem. This was immediately following yet another A54 major "One UI" system update, which is almost a "given" because our A54s perform major system updates so often. Certainly some major update had recently preceded this failure, but I don't know if it was immediately before the failure.

I reconnected both phones by tapping on our home network's "Reconnect" button (in the WiFi "Available Networks" list) four times. The same thing happened on each phone: the first three attempts failed, each time claiming that the password was incorrect. I knew this was ridiculous because:

• we had not changed our router's WAP password, and
  • all our other WiFi devices, including our Samsung A03s  phone, were still communicating with this same router's WAP.

Each phone reconnected on the fourth attempt (without my forcibly "forgetting" the connection and/or re-entering the password), and both phones have been connected ever since.

Our two A54 phones might still be improperly divorced from other previously connected WAPs, but we haven't had them near such other private devices since this event, so we don't know yet. I was concerned that both A54 phones might now be divorced from the Xfinity public hotspot network (that Xfinity maintains in many public places, including airports - thank you!), but today I tested all three phones near an Xfinity public hotspot and was relieved to see that all three phones connected to it automatically.

Mobile network disconnections

A few days ago my wife's A54 phone (# ending in XXXX) had performed yet another of its seemingly endless "One UI" updates. After this particular update she had turned her phone off overnight and then turned it back on in the morning. That morning, nobody could reach her either by calling or via text messaging. Her phone had a notification from Xfinity saying that it was time to set up her phone, as though it had never been connected to the Xfinity mobile network. I then tried to use her phone to call Xfinity's service number (as indicated in the notification) and the phone informed me that the phone was not on a network, and so could be used only to make emergency calls.

I called Xfinity's service number using another phone. I was, as usual, maddened by Xfinity's automated answering system, which goes to ridiculous lengths to try to prevent me from talking to a human agent. I finally reached a human agent who was very helpful and who walked me through the procedure to reset the mobile network settings on my wife's phone (and then restart the phone), after which my wife's phone started working again.

Then a couple of days later my wife's phone went through yet another of these relentless Samsung "One UI" updates while I was watching it. The phone restarted, and once again her phone was showing this same "time to set up your phone" notification, after which I again walked it through the same mobile network reset procedure.

Interestingly, my own A54 phone (#XXXX) has not experienced this problem, despite having been through the same sequence of updates as my wife's A54. Our A03s phone, which has had a much less frequent series of Samsung "One UI" updates, has also never yet disconnected from Xfinity's mobile network.

Request

Since Xfinity is a Samsung reseller who sold us the phones that are having these problems, I request that Xfinity explore these issues with Samsung. My wife is a very non-technical person. If she is on a trip when some Samsung update removes her phone from the Xfinity network, she's in trouble. Now I must type up the network-reset sequence for her and she must now carry these instructions around in her purse, in case her phone does one of these updates and takes her phone off the network while I'm not around. It would be doubly disturbing if one of these Samsung updates ALSO takes her phone off of her connected WiFi network(s), possibly including Xfinity's WiFi hotspot network, making it impossible for her to contact anyone via WiFi calling or texting (e.g. using Telegram).

I would be very surprised if these problems were exclusive to us. I've found only one message thread regarding this problem on the Samsung "members" web site (entitled "NETWORK ISSUES AFTER LAST UPDATE") , but that thread is already closed even though it was opened recently (9/22/23), as is so often the case with threads on Samsung's members' message board. So I don't know whether these problems rare, or is it just rare that people like me sit down and spend hours doing research and writing about them.

Network disconnection is a serious problem, especially for non-tech people who don't generally navigate their phone "Settings" and who don't understand things like resetting mobile network settings. I'd further guess that most of your users don't understand how to connect to WiFi networks and would never do so if not in the presence of someone who thinks about such things.

Constant major updates are a sign of a technical organization in distress, usually due to poor management of technical organizations by non-technical managers. I suspect that Samsung's constant updates, along with their attendant possible network disconnections, are probably a serious problem for many of your customers.

I am looking forward to some sort of response. Thanks!  = David Ziffer

5 Replies
DaveZiffer
Halo
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I re-posted this today because today my wife's phone once again disconnected today from Xfinity's mobile network immediately following another "OneUI" system update. I tried simply restarting the phone, but that alone was not enough. I had to "Reset mobile network settings" and then restart in order to get her phone back on the network. This is only one of multiple mobile  and WiFi network disconnections we've experienced on both our phones since I originally sent Xfinity this letter on 12/29/23 (and also originally posted this letter on Samsung's Community board).

RCox451
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Have you found any solutions?
When you signed in to the WiFi node, did you select "Auto Connect"?
0 Likes
DaveZiffer
Halo
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Yes, all my WiFi connections are set to "automatically reconnect" on all my phones and also on all my other devices. Please read my description in the original post, where I was able to reconnect without reentering any credentials - mysteriously by tapping on "reconnect" multiple times. And no, I have not found any solutions.

0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices
your issues are a royal pain. the bride and I experienced something similar over a few months (S22U and S23U) while we were on TMO. escalating the issue with TMO (they were very helpful) didn't solve the problem. we moved to AT&T and never had a problem again. Xfinity is a VZW MVNO, so I wonder if it's an issue with VZW? honestly, though, I've seen similar complaints in other places with other carriers, and even affecting iPhones. trying to solve this is like playing pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey.
0 Likes
DaveZiffer
Halo
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I appreciate your sympathy. I have also posted this on Xfinity's community forum. I guess I'll just see what happens. Obviously these things are out of our hands. Samsung “One UI” updates disconnect phones from WiFi and mobile networks | Xfinity Community Forum