JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can no longer control Sonos sound bar (optical cable) via remote control

(Topic created: 01-29-2021 04:49 PM)
SHaase
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

A couple of days ago, I lost the capability to control sound on my Sonos sound bar from my TV remote.  This had been working flawlessly for about 2 years - and then it just stopped working 2 days ago.   Since then, to change the volume, I either need to push the buttons on the sound bar directly, or I need to use the Sonos app on my phone/pc.  I had not made any configuration changes prior to this breaking, though I think I remember the TV updating its firmward a week or two ago.

Equipment:
  TV - Samsung QN82Q6FNA

Sound Bar - Sonos Playbar, Connect Amp

The sound bar is hooked up to the TV via optical cable, and I've confirmed the TV is set to use the Optical sound output.  I've replaced the batteries in the remote, and have also tried multiple remotes (the Samsung TV remote as well as my Harmony, both of which used to control the sound just fine).  When I hit Vol+/-, the /- indicator on TV shows up, but the sound on the sound bar does not change.  I can control the sound on the sound bar fine via the app on my phone/PC.  

I have tried reconfiguring the remote, deleting/adding the remote but nothing has worked. 

Any ideas?

7 Replies
useryhctk6Xp3o
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have the exact same issue that started a few weeks ago. I don't remember any firmware update. I have tried resetting to factory settings to no avail. I have searched everywhere for a possible solution to no avail. I am going to try and contact Samsung.

userFkDYTcg8Ip
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Same issue also. Can't find anything on Sonos site for a fix. REALLY don't want to set everything up again. 

userpnc719K7iB
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Are there any news on this issue i still have the problem

useryDXh0Wyh66
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Same issue here. Worked fine last week and all of a sudden the Samsung TV remote stopped controlling the volume on the PlayBar. Did all the resets and nothing has worked. Called Samsung support and they could not help. Said they would call back with an update, but haven't. Has anyone identified a solution for this that they able to share? 

johnselnaes
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Same issue here. Samsung Frame 2020 connected optically to Sonos Playbar.  Worked as expected since I bought it a few months ago. Volum control stopped suddenly working some weeks ago.

Solution
useryDXh0Wyh66
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

My buddy fixed this issue! Not sure it will work for everyone, but just tried it and it worked 🤷🏻‍:female_sign:

Source - Univeral remote - new device - pick/find Sonos - when it asks to do the compatibility test allow it and say NO the first time it asked if it worked. It will ask to do the test again and the second time say YES. 

That fixed mine. Hope it works for you too! 

user6p00OuBNtl
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I had this same problem between my Frame TV and Sonos Playbar. I fixed it with the solution mentioned and it worked for a little while and then stopped again. 

I noticed the more comprehensive remote could still control the volume, just not the small smarter remote which tells me the issue relates to the IR signal from the TV box.