Original topic:

New 65" QN90A Screen Uniformity Quality Issues and Dead Pixels

(Topic created: 07-31-2021 03:31 PM)
DarthxRinzler
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I just purchased a brand new 65" QN90A and just got around to setting it up. I was brought to the blue setup screen and immediately noticed dark black lines running down the screen as well as a dark circular area on the right side of the screen. 

After setup I went to YouTube and pulled up a 4K Turtle video to watch with my daughter. I couldn't help but still see these lines during our viewing as well as the dark area of the right side.

This prompted me to pull up a screen uniformity test and see what a single color screen looked to get an idea of how this panel actually is.

In short, I am absolutely appalled that a $2,600 television would have these quality control issues. I also found a few dead pixels as well, a couple of which are dead center of the screen.

Please see the attached and I hope a Samsung rep can chime in here and hopefully have my panel replaced. There is no excuse for this. For such an expensive tv I expected much more. For reference the panel is an AA02 panel, which from my understanding is an outsourced panel and not a true Samsung-made panel.

jellyfish, banding, dark parts of screenjellyfish, banding, dark parts of screenverticle banding, although harder to seeverticle banding, although harder to seedirty screen, not uniformdirty screen, not uniformverticle banding and dseverticle banding and dsedead pixeldead pixeldead pixeldead pixeldead pixeldead pixeluniformity issuesuniformity issuesterrible dseterrible dse

0 Likes
7 Replies
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
Qled and Frame
It's difficult to tell from the pictures, especially on my phone, but it looks like the center is vertically brighter than the left and right sides. Is that what you're seeing? What is your brightness set at?
0 Likes
DarthxRinzler
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Yes, a bit harder to see on the computer via an image, but very apparent in person.

It's on the Standard setting, so brightness is at 38. That said, I shouldn't have adjust brightness to hide defects, especially a tv that touts it's brightness/contrast over oled.

I've circled the most prominent problem areas. Also looks like there is a white square in the middle of the screen due to the uniformity of the backlights.

banding dsebanding dsebanding dsebanding dsebanding dsebanding dsebanding dsebanding dsehard to see in a photo, but a white square due to surrounding uniformity issueshard to see in a photo, but a white square due to surrounding uniformity issueshard to see in a photo, but a white square due to surrounding uniformity issueshard to see in a photo, but a white square due to surrounding uniformity issues

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
Qled and Frame
I have an OLED and clouding, edge bleed and uniformity issues with back lit and edge lit TV's like this are why I switched. Even top of the line back lit or edge lit TV's using local dimming can still have the same issues. The contrast ratio of any back or edge lit TV will never be as good as an OLED since the OLED contrast ratio is infinity because the pixels can turn completely off for a total black. If you just bought this I'd take it back for an exchange or refund.
0 Likes
DarthxRinzler
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Yea, I'm honestly a Samsung fanboy. I just expected more for the price. I think I got a bad panel and its not acceptable. Unfortunately the store I purchased this from is over an hour away so returning it will be a pain. I'm going to try and have Samsung come out to replace the panel under warranty.

I purchased an LG CX OLED last year for my xbox series x and ended up returning it. It just didn't get bright enough for me and I found myself constantly looking to turn the brightness up only to realize I was at max. OLED isn't for me.

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
Qled and Frame
Sounds like you got a bad OLED too. Mine is only at 50% brightness and is very bright. I actually had to turn it down.
0 Likes
userLaORcTXX0I
Astronaut
Options
Qled and Frame

oleds dont have infinite contrast because ratio is measured with 2 parameters, one being peak brightness. So yeah oleds are limited just like any other tv, im tired of this narrative, they just have better pitch blacks 

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
Qled and Frame
OLED TV marketing often claims "infinite" contrast ratios, and while that might sound like typical hyperbole, it's one of the extremely rare instances where such claims are actually true. Since OLED can produce a perfect black, emitting no light whatsoever, its contrast ratio (expressed as the brightest white divided by the darkest black) is technically infinite. And contrast ratio is arguably the most important aspect of picture quality.
0 Likes