Original topic:

Contacts Custom Label reverted name to default

(Topic created: 01-10-2023 12:23 AM)
LindaK20
Galaxy
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Hi. Whenever I create a new contact, I sometimes change the field name using the Custom field and create a new label name to an appropriate one. 

Lately, when I go to a contact, the Custom field only shows Custom, not the name I created. I don't want to change all of them if they revert to Custom. 

It would be great to know what caused it and prevent it from happening again. 
26 Replies
KiwiBird97
Red Giant
Options
It seems like you can only add one custom label in Samsung Contacts right now...
0 Likes
Pazzazz
Asteroid
Options

It's working now.  Used to always say "custom" and then you put what you wanted.  It saved whatever name you put.  Now, once you use it, it will show the label of the last custom label you made.  Just click on it and it change it and save it.  It works fine.  Just will always show the last custom name.  

0 Likes
userTccQbNfnSy
Asteroid
Options

It reverts to custom & when there are multiple #s It end up calling the wrong person.  This is really annoying. For them & me.. 

0 Likes
WhatMeWorry
Astronaut
Options

I have a new A15 and "Custom" is not offered. Just "Other" and there's nothing more apparently that you can do.

One crappy workaround is to edit contact, "View more", and describe in NOTES.
E.g. -1244 - kids line / -5101 warehouse

I said it's crappy, but AFAICT it's the best that I can do.

FWIW I set this phone up from an LG using Samsung Smart Switch, and it DID pick up and preserve the custom names on the old phone. I just AFAIK cannot do that when adding new contacts. Pfffffft.

0 Likes
kprawl
Constellation
Options
I have most of my address book set up as families rather than individuals. In those families I assign members as phone numbers with custom labels so I can identify them. For the second time this year, those custom labels are gone and everyone is labeled CUSTOM. What is going on? Why are they being changed by the Google app? I need them back. Is there a solution? Thank you.
0 Likes
userpGTklVSoOU
Constellation
Options

I'm having the same problem and with almost 1000 contacts; most of which have custom names have ALL renamed to "custom". This is completely unacceptable and samsung needs to fix this ASAP!

I looked in google contacts and guess what ALL those custom labels are also gone. They are all listed as "no label"! **bleep**? This is now even more unacceptable. And I'm also thinking it's a Google issue, not a Samsung issue. 

0 Likes
bwccolorado
Astronaut
Options

I've not seen any solution to the custom field overwrite...but it is terribly inconvenient when I have to reconstruct what the various numbers are. My example is my healthcare provider has multiple numbers for various services. I keep them all in one contact and use the custom field to discern. They have all reverted to "custom".

It appears to be right after a security update (where bloatware games are also added). For each of the unwanted programs/games, I rate 1 star, let them know why, then uninstall. Is Samsung (Verizon) getting back at me?!?!

0 Likes